9 or 10 speed Trans?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Well, when are you guys are going to install air brakes? All these modifications to go go go, and all of you will admit the braking system on these trucks is terrible. Sounds like hydro-boost saves your leg muscles but that's about it.

I know it's a ego boost to say "I pull 15000 lbs with my pickup" but no one will admit it's a very careful ride with no room for error when pulling that much weight. Pull the same weight with a medium duty truck and you do have more control when someone happens to pull out in front of you in an intersection. Yes I did it once because I had the attitude "I have a diesel and can pull anything", but I will never do it again.

Ok, reality session is over, back to the enthusiast bench towing session. Yes I am attacking all of you :sly

Couldnt of said it better. If you are grossing out 25k regularly then a pick up is not the tool for the job. You need a single axle TRUCK

In this picture i was grossing almost 24k. The truck had more than enough power to move it w a 6 speed but stopping was not so comfortable. Once in a while is one thing but guys who do it everdaycookoocookoo.O and i had HYdoboost and 4 wheel disk brakes and both axles on the trailer have brakes. And the truck had the EBPV exhaust brake mod

Like i said. Dont think anyone on here will convince me the need for a 10 speed
You must be registered for see images attach

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
then you need to learn how to operate a brake controller and maybe not expect the truck to stop in 5 ft because stopping was no problem with all that alfalfa and only single axle trailer brakes I drove the damn rig. and stopping is no issue on mine with trailer brakes, no we dont get that heavy extremely often but again let me point out the 7 mpg towing mileage difference with just a small trailer behind my truck all becuase i stayed down in the sweet rpms. yall are talking about heavy and more gears would help out even unloaded. it is all about staying in a certain area for rpm and getting the best mileage at travel speed. Now no you would not need to shift all 10 gears like I also stated earlier in the thread you might just need 3 or 4. but those three or four will be different when on the interstate doing 80 and on the local loop doing 55.

And I still ask the question how can you haul to much? Not talking about weight of course because i do understand that you can most certainly overload a truck and that could end up very dangerous. But trucks were made to work and haul, not be sidewalk queens and the only weight they ever have to pull is maybe an aluminum boat trailer or even just the weight of the driver. It makes no sense to me to own a truck if that is a discription of your truck. you would be better of having a small suv or car. If i could afford another vehicle all my truck would do is pull loads because i would be driving a car otherwise.But you can obviously benefit from having extra gears no matter how light the load is rldsl has provided mpg proof and it only makes sense.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Any chance you can get some photos of that setup?

In hindsight I should have said something to Kevin (owner of the yard) to have him hold it for me to pull, but I was in a hurry because I was running late and it has since been crushed:idiot:. It is an actual junk yard not a pick your part. I can tell you that it was a five speed with a cable actuated splitter on the back of it.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
then you need to learn how to operate a brake controller and maybe not expect the truck to stop in 5 ft because stopping was no problem with all that alfalfa and only single axle trailer brakes I drove the damn rig. and stopping is no issue on mine with trailer brakes, no we dont get that heavy extremely often but again let me point out the 7 mpg towing mileage difference with just a small trailer behind my truck all becuase i stayed down in the sweet rpms. yall are talking about heavy and more gears would help out even unloaded. it is all about staying in a certain area for rpm and getting the best mileage at travel speed. Now no you would not need to shift all 10 gears like I also stated earlier in the thread you might just need 3 or 4. but those three or four will be different when on the interstate doing 80 and on the local loop doing 55.

And I still ask the question how can you haul to much? Not talking about weight of course because i do understand that you can most certainly overload a truck and that could end up very dangerous. But trucks were made to work and haul, not be sidewalk queens and the only weight they ever have to pull is maybe an aluminum boat trailer or even just the weight of the driver. It makes no sense to me to own a truck if that is a discription of your truck. you would be better of having a small suv or car. If i could afford another vehicle all my truck would do is pull loads because i would be driving a car otherwise.But you can obviously benefit from having extra gears no matter how light the load is rldsl has provided mpg proof and it only makes sense.

What is the factory GCVW on a say a 1993 F350 reg cab dually w 4:10s and a 5 speed?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Or a complete other way to get a 10 speed. Well actually a 9 speed. How about a 2 speed rear for a very light application

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Like i said. Dont think anyone on here will convince me the need for a 10 speed

Good thing no one is trying to do that then isn't it? You don't want a 10 speed we get that, the horse is dead stop beating it.

I'd put a brownie behind my zf5 if I had a divorced np205 to put behind it. I can't see the point in screwing with a light duty truck trying to make believe it's a big truck though. If you want air brakes, 13 speeds and most importantly pulling power you are wasting your time with an IDI truck plain and simple. If I want to pull more than my 40' 5th with a camper and my yota on it I'll use my volvo with a 3406E cat. :D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really, I just want to be able to split gears and do it without spending high $$ to get a GV. I also like shifting gears so the manual aspect is not a problem for me. Hopefully I don't scatter that brownie trying to learn how to float or double clutch those gears as I don't have experience with true non syncro straight cut gears.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
My brownie only weighs about 155 lbs hardly noticable, I think the driveshafts the guy built for the thing weigh more :rotflmao

As far as brakes, well for you young guys, you may complain about brakes on these things, but i was raised on pickups with no power brakes at all, and started driving commercial 2 1/2 ton trucks and higher with hydraulics that didn't have power brakes, or power steering, so quite frankly, I don't know what all the ******** is about. These things have tons of stopping power. First thing I did when I got my 5er was take it over a road in the Ozarks that is restricted to most truck companies by their insurance companies with a 20 % grade on it and rode it down do see how it would do and if you actually know how to drive, these engines have great braking compression ( and that was on my old engine with worn rings) and I barely needed to touch the brakes on the way down and when I needed them in the hard curves near the bottom there was more than enough to slow the thing down . The brake problem on these things has a lot more to do with experience and poor adjustment than is does to do with design problem. Now I know that's going to **** a lot of people off, bit I'm sorry, I just happened to spend a lot of years pushing big trucks and and everything in between and picked up a few things.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
dont **** me off in the least bit i dont understand the idea that a full size truck towing a trailer should have brakes like a compact car. I have drove my truck since i was 16 and once i got the brake system straight it doesnt feel like it stops horribly to me. Now my mother cant go anywhere without having to roll through a stop sign because she couldnt stop in time but she is also one of those people that can barely get her 08 half ton stopped in time at every intersection because she waits until about 50 yards before a stoplight to hit the brakes while doing 50 or so. And the sad thing is that most of the drivers i know are this way. the only thing i can say is that mechanical systems fail all of the time and all of them will surely be sorry when/if their power brakes fail. then again when i took drivers ed i was told "watch for brake lights in front of you" I personally like to pay attention to the gap between me and the next car.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You want to try a pickup with under spec's brakes, try an old Willys 1 1/4 ton like I used to have. Turns out for military purposes they made the things to where the brake and steering systems were field swappable with the CJ type critter of the time so the brakes met somewhere in the middle. the little guy got great brakes and the big one would scare you half to death. When hauling hay you;'d put a dent in the seat frame every time you tried to stop that sucker :rotflmao not to mention that highly safe completly non redundant single master cylinder with no power booster :eek: ( add on aftermarket vacuum power boosters became very popular accessories for those things) Had one of those suckers fold coming off about a 9000 ft mountain one time. Not something I'd care to repeat.
These Fords stop like formula one cars compared to old relics like that LOL,although I' am guilty as th enext guy of forgetting to crawl under there as often as I should and spin those adjuster wheels and it does need to be done rather often. I noticed on the way out here to California dragging the 5er I had to adjust them in Arizona at the campground in Williams before we pulled out, and I had just set the things before we left Arkansas. You sure wouldn't think they would go out that much but there were quite a few up and downs getting that far not to mention a long downgrade into Albequerque. I'm going to crawl back under there before we leave the west coast after all this city driving, I know they will be needing it again.
I've always found that I stop better with my trailers on than off. Properly specd trailers have more than enough brakes for the rated axle load.
with the engine braking in these thing( at least with a manual box) I could ride this thing off a mountain even iff the trailer brake controller failed and I always keep a redundant trailer brake controller mounted under the dash ready to plug in in an emergancy.

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just love the idea of the 10 speed road ranger with air splitter

A 10 speed RR would have a range slector not a splitter, the range selector is under the front curl of the shifter knob the splitter would but a slide switch on the side of the knob

a 10 speed like i said would have a range slector throw on a different back box and a splitter and you can go from 10 speed up to 18 (most common now a days)

my buddy does have a cabover with 3 air selections for gears, makes it about a 32 speed or some **** like that ( low-low, low, high (doesnt have as many for reverse or one of the other gears, i belive your "5th" gear doesnt have a low low) )

At work on a brand new trans its really really hard to skip gears without using a clutch so i just run through the gears like normal (but this on a truck with less than 500 miles on it (class 8 btw)) when i skip gears its 1-3-5-6-8-9-10, most of the time it depends on engine and gear ratios but thats pretty common for me

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
rldsl that is why i drive a standard I have hit some decent grades towing the little horse trailer(14 ft stock trailer with the big wind catcher nose) and i just downshifted and let her ride. I to was surprised at how much difference spinning those adjusters made. I actually dont normally spin them tight i just take as much slack as i can out of them with my finger and then go up and down the driveway slowly hitting the brakes at both ends, they tighten up when im in reverse at a pretty good clip and slowly depress the brake pedal. That doesnt work on the other family idi but then again mine has a complete new brake system minus the hard lines.