8v92 silver

ttmart1

Reaction score
Im looking at buying an 86 pete with a 8v92 silver. Its a dump truck showing 300k plus miles on it but Im sure its been rolled over but there is a breather tube under the motor that hangs down past the oil pan and when I push on the throttle the breather sprays oil out of it. Also there seems to be an abundance of smoke comeing out of the exhaust while im pushing on the accelerator too. Also there is some oil leaking out of the exhaust pipe at the clamps that runs past the motor on the exhaust side of turbo. Ive heard these 2 strokes will smoke and they will leak,this will be my first truck to buy and my first 2 stroke to drive. It started great and without hesitation,had a little up and down idle behavior for the first 30 seconds or so and then she purred like a kitten. Anyone have any views or info I should take into consideration or does anyone know if this thing is ready for an inframe.

ttmart1

Reaction score
I want to also add that there was no oil under the truck before I started it. Which leads me to beleive that it may have possibly idled alot before I got there from other people looking at it turning it on and turning it off without revving the engine up. Then I show up and turn it on and rev it up and before ya know know it there is oil comeing out of the breather from build up, but this is only a theory and in general I have no idea what Im talking about.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
My experience with Detroits:

If it ain't leakin', you done run out of oil.

Kind of funny that it's actually spraying out of the draft tube. Most I've been around drip excessively, but the spray thing is a new one on me.

8V92, shouldn't lack for power, in a dump truck, if you drive it right. In layman's terms, you should bang you shin on the box step, and slam your hand in the door. Then you are mad enough to drive it. LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you do buy this truck and live with it for a few years, any other 4stroke you buy in the future will seem heavenly compared to this beast. whatever you do, don't lug the motor. Its the only way to blow one up. All the smoke and leaks you've described seem normal to me. Also, where are you driving this beast? hopefully not CA. The scales have their opacity sniffers and you'll undoubtedly peg the meter when you pass by.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Geez run for your life you would have to be crazy to buy a 2 stroke detroit powered truck LOL

Trust me you really won't be too happy with the truck the 8v92s were good empty put a load in the truck they can't hold a candle to a Cummins or Cat. If you are getting a good deal on the truck then go for it but if you are paying a high price for it walk away.

Usually Detroits are drooling oil from every oriface if there isn't a black lake under the truck when its idling then there is no oil in the engine :Sly

I don't know how much you will be using the truck if its for occasional use you maybe alright trying to make a living with the truck the fuel mileage will kill you. There is no possible way to progessivly shift a 2 stroke detroit your foot is constantly to the floor.

A 8v92 is only 736 cid compared to a 400 Big Cam 855cid so you have to keep the engine revving to use the 8v92s hp because it does lack the low end torque.

I have a feeling this old truck may have been a truck tractor at one time you didn't see many Pete vocationals with 8v92 power unless it was a mixer truck but they usually had 8v71s or 6/71s.

The problem with 2 strokes is the breather boxes get loaded up with oil which is caused from excessive idling.

Good luck hope you make the right decision :rock:

ttmart1

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I cant wait to pick this screamin beast up. It will be in washington state so I dont think dot will bother me here with it. Im sure its ready for an overhaul but eventually after I drive this POS into the ground in 2 years or so,Id like to rebuild it from the ground up and make it a show truck....I love peterbilts and the 2 stroke motor,well I love noise. I just dont love dumping all my money into fixing it a week after I buy it and I think from what everyone here has said that it all sounds normal.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Oh one think I forgot to meantion but you may want to pick up a set of motor mounts the engine oil that drools out a detroit eats up rubber motor mounts. The one truck I work on that has 6v92 power goes through motor mounts every year from the oil eating them.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I had a detroit in a VNL Volvo. Ran great empty, dog slow uphill loaded & smoked its a$$ off. So bad that I had a few people stop while I was delivering cars & tell me the truck was on fire. Detroit's smoke, leak, & blow turbos but mine was reliable as hell. Good luck with it if you go that route.

seagravedriver

Reaction score
OOOOkkkkkkkk, I am stepping out a bit here, not being a professional driver, but......we have them in several fire engines, 40k lbs. or so, give or take a few. Several friends have said what was mentioned here, slam your finger in the door and drive pissed off the rest of the day/night. I like the 8V92TAs we have, BUT, it has cost us a good amount of money. We are running 60 series now, but I kinda liked the Silver 92 better. Please note, I have a very diffrent application than you are looking at, we are running all automatics, and foot down all the time, from sitting in the bay doing nothing, alarm goes off, and it is foot to the floor. For fire dept. application, I loved it, but talking to the mechanics, they would rather see a cat in the frame. Regards, Craig

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Come to think of it, we have an 8V92 in our 92 Seagrave also. Runs like scalded dog. Allison auto & about 40,000lbs also. It doesn't smoke or leak though. Upkeep is VERY often & expensive.

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
1961 GMC bus at work, with a very, very slow 6V71 (~170HP) with a 3-speed auto. Running either WOT or zero throttle all the time, it has over 900,000 miles since the last IFO. Drinks about a gallon of Delo a week.

Incidentally, you described the symptoms of 15W-40 in a Jimmy perfectly...do an oil change with SAE40W Delo--AND NOTHING ELSE! I bet the spray & smoke will lessen dramatically.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Drove one of those engines for a while a bunch of years back. Would fly on the flats, on hills you'd have to get out and push and of course you'd have to stop and fill the oil and check the fuel :) and that one was near new

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online