'89 F250 lighting wiring?

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a decent onlline wiring manual for an 89 7.3 4x4 supercab? My lighting is acting up -- no taillights or brake lights! Someone had spliced in a brake controller, and "unspliced" it at some point, so there are several wires disconnected. I fiddled for a moment, didn't think I altered a thing, and now my taillights are stuck ON. Go figure.

Anyway, any .pdf's or anything of the sort would be dandy, or simply a recommendation for a decent manual (Chilton?) would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

Chris

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haynes manual 36058 has good wiring diagrams in it for the chassis and lights for f series and bronco from 1980 to 1996. Most Advance autoparts stores carry it in stock. Pg 12-50 is the one you need and unfortunatly my scanner is down right now

here are the colors for the tail lights,

Brown - Tail lights, license plate lamps, rear park lamps on chassis cab
Light green & orange - left brake/turn signal
Orange & Light blue - right brake / turn signal
Black - Ground

If your lights are constsantly on and you're working under the dash all I can think of is that you are tapped into a constant hot like the light green and red that goes to the brake light switch or the red & white that goes to the hazzard flasher.

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, tonkadoctor. I use Haynes on all the imports I own and have owned; didn't know they had one for Ford trucks! I'll buy one today!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome Chris. The truck manual doesn't cover the diesel engine but they do have a techbook that covers the diesel in depth #10330 it covers the GM 5.7, 6.2 and 6.5 and the Ford 6.9, 7.3 IDI and 7.3 Power Stroke.

Mike
BTW when I bought these manuals they were both on the shelf at Advance, Autozone said they could order them-Lame

cscmc1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were right -- Advance had them both on the shelf! I went home, removed the electric brake controller (it was beat up anyway) and clipped a few extraneous wires. Now my lighting is acting as it should! I ought to pick up some SCA test strips now and see how urgently I need to get to a coolant flush. Wonder if Advance carries those?

Thanks again!

Chris

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome Chris. For the SCA strips I'd probably call Napa or Carquest as they sell heavy truck parts or check with a local heavy truck or farm tractor dealer, You can also get them from Ford. You have a much better chance of them actually understanding what SCA test strips are than one of the "Box" stores like Advance or Autozone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online