89 250 turbo

Perkins204

Reaction score
I have an 89 with a turbo and it is leaking oil on a small line after the turbo. I haven't owned a diesel before so it's all new to me. Any idea on what it could be? Picture will be posted tomorrow. It also has a steady stream off smoke coming out of the crankcase tube...should I worry? On startup when it's not warm it kinda knocks for a little bit but eventually seems to go away. Oil pressure is also around 80 or over 100if I give it a little gas before it's warm. Ive turned the wastgate up to get a little more boost and I'm lucky to get 5 at 70. It's a Garrett turbo. Any help will be appreciated!

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your oil feed > turbo is leaking, might get away with taking it off and wrapping some ptfe tape (atleast 4 or 5 wraps) if that doesn't stop the leak, replace the line. Not sure what a crankcase tube is but good chance it's just the oil leak burning if it's anywhere near the leak.

These guys are probably also going to want to know mileage and if you know any maintenance history on your truck. Goodluck!

Perkins204

Reaction score
Just the breather hose that goes into the intake sorry! And it has 194k with the oil just changed. New injectors supposedly, rebuilt oil cooler, rebuilt turbo, and a rebuilt c6 with gear vendors.

Perkins204

Reaction score
I have various wires not hooked up that are just taped off. Are any of these something I should worry about? On the last injector passenger side it has a small rubber line coming off that is blocked with a bolt? The lines between injectors are connected though. Also it is a very loud metal on metal noise coming from the hose that is suppose to go into your intake from the front of the engine. I don't have a CDr anymore either. Sorry for my ignorance lol just need some help!
You must be registered for see images attach

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
"Wires". Not counting all of the reposts. I'm pretty sure that the first one is a vacuum line. The second one, I believe, is your original oil pressure sender wire. It looks like when the glow plug controller was relocated, it was moved with the rest of the wires in that bundle and just left unhooked. The third one hooks to the spot on the fuel filter housing that has RTV smeared all over it, probably in a poor attempt to seal a fuel leak there. I don't remember which one this is. The forth one should be the wire for your "water in fuel" light. It attaches to sender in the bottom of the sediment bowl, or in your case, the bottom of the fuel filter. The sediment bowl is a known leak point and there's a lot of fuel filters with a water drain in the bottom to eliminate this issue. The Metal to metal sound that you hear from the breather tube that's probably attached to the front cover, right below the oil fill, is just the gears inside turning. Everything inside the front is all gear driven. From bottom to top, oil pump, crankshaft, camshaft, and injector pump. The knock on cold start up sounds to me like it's getting air into the fuel system when it's not running. It could be an injector bleeding off fuel pressure while not running. The plastic return cap at the back is incorrectly blocked off so the fuel return lines don't run underneath the hot turbo. There should be a line crossing over from the passenger's side to the driver's side return lines. There may not be though. If I had to guess, I'd say that the return lines should be redone. You can buy a kit from Conestoga Diesel that is for a turbo application like yours, that has all of the right pieces that you need, new caps, fuel line, o-rings, etc. Mel Agne (Agnem on here) is the owner of Conestoga Diesel and is one of the three fuel injection places recommended by us here. As for the oil fed line leaking on your turbo, if it's a formed steel line, there's probably a black rubber "olive" at each end of the line underneath the nut. This is what seals the line, just like our hard fuel lines (not counting the injector lines off of the injector pump). A new one can be purchased and installed.

Perkins204

Reaction score
Thank you so much! You just helped me more then you can imagine haha. The ac only works in defrost so that vacuum line could be it I guess. And I do have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge and I found that that is where the small clear line goes to.(fixed that) I will be ordering everything you mentioned! I guess while repairing those lines I should replace the injectors or have them tested huh? So why would the "cap" off the last line?

Perkins204

Reaction score
And will there not being a I guess you could call it a crossover line cause issues?

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just need to make sure that there is some way for the return fuel from each injector to make it's way back to the tank. How it's run(through the back, through the front, through a tee half-way back) doesn't matter at all.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
They capped off the last return line to save money instead of buying the right parts. They did this so that the fuel return line at the back of the engine doesn't run underneath the hot turbo. The heat will make the rubber dry and brittle pretty quickly. This could cause a fuel leak and, possibly, (worst case) a fire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online