'87-'91 Headlights

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have gotten away from sand paper, and use aluminum polishing discs and rouge, 3 part, 4 on some deal, actual cost is 2bits per light....

Got some of those same pics as well.... :D

whodeestyo

Reaction score
Ill put together a write up on it tomorrow. I do this on the side for my truck/mad money and do 5-10 cars a month making 300-500$ extra! hope it will help you all.

Clydesdale- that seems a bit abrasive. Whats the final grit? then do you polish with wool or foam pad? Im interested to see if its less time intensive.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read the thread...
It was just a reminder... Also, if the lens pattern is a concern (cause of the aussies driving on the other side of the road), it is my understanding that the sealed beams can be replaced with DOT-approved lights... My personal plan with the aussie lights is to replace only the passenger-side one with a DOT-approved sealed beam, this way there is light on both sides of the road so I will be able to actually see something when making a left turn at the top of a hill (there is one particular spot like that near where my buddy lives where one never knows what's awaiting for them in the middle of the lane, from disabled vehicles to mildly irritated mama bears)...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been polishing headlights for years. Not with a quick fix crappy method. But a 6 step wet sand and two step polish. I will tell you that my trucks headlights, tail lights, and turn signals came out as new! they do not look repaired or (fixed) but new. I will gladly share the simple knowledge if interested. It takes 30-and hour depending on condition per set. Costs about 5-10$. I have great before and after pics of my pickup. I cant get them to load.. anywho- let me know if anyones interested. If your in the Philadelphia Pa area i would be happy to show you personally.

sounds similar to what I've been doing. If you start an article I'll throw in some stuff. Like I said mines been great for 6+ months looking new EXCEPT if there are any cracks in the plastic, those wont go away but are VERY less noticable than the fogginess :sly. Cost me about 4$ and only took less than an hour, maybe 20+ minutes :dunno i dont recall but it was quick for all the lights minus the tails, those were busted so i bought new but there alot cheaper than the fronts

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill put together a write up on it tomorrow. I do this on the side for my truck/mad money and do 5-10 cars a month making 300-500$ extra! hope it will help you all.

Clydesdale- that seems a bit abrasive. Whats the final grit? then do you polish with wool or foam pad? Im interested to see if its less time intensive.

Thats the beauty, there isn't a grit per say.. I usually start with a yellow wheel and Tripoli, then green and green then white and white... Finishing off with either a white fluffer and white rouge, or a wool buffer pad and mild compound .

The bulk of thos that do it around here, use sand paper.. and you can tell, sand scratches. This leaves perfect clear plastic, all the bad clear coat can come off if you are deliberate... Just seems to be a better way.

Zephyr makes a blue rouge that I would use for the final app. if the Pete store would ever order it in.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the beauty, there isn't a grit per say.. I usually start with a yellow wheel and Tripoli, then green and green then white and white... Finishing off with either a white fluffer and white rouge, or a wool buffer pad and mild compound .

The bulk of thos that do it around here, use sand paper.. and you can tell, sand scratches. This leaves perfect clear plastic, all the bad clear coat can come off if you are deliberate... Just seems to be a better way.

Zephyr makes a blue rouge that I would use for the final app. if the Pete store would ever order it in.

You can see the scratches after 1600+ grit buffing x2 :confused: I'll try and get a macro image of mine :eek:. I know if your still saw them then, that up to 2500 would do the trick:angel:

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, wasn't inferring that the scratches are left behind by everyone.. There a lot of fly by night operations, you know as well as I do, it doesn't take muych effort to make a vast difference, but perfection... that is a different story.

Too often I see a set that should be yellow (you know the cars) and they are not, and I look, and Yip, they been done. But it was a hack that did it... and left scratches behind.

The rouge is handy fgor me as I polish aluminuminuminum as well, and it offers a brag point, or elitest element.. NO sand scratches ever, bleh bleh bleh.. that sorta thing.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, wasn't inferring that the scratches are left behind by everyone.. There a lot of fly by night operations, you know as well as I do, it doesn't take muych effort to make a vast difference, but perfection... that is a different story.

Too often I see a set that should be yellow (you know the cars) and they are not, and I look, and Yip, they been done. But it was a hack that did it... and left scratches behind.

The rouge is handy fgor me as I polish aluminuminuminum as well, and it offers a brag point, or elitest element.. NO sand scratches ever, bleh bleh bleh.. that sorta thing.
Ah gotcha, yeah i see what you mean now. I have seen it around town too :puke:

I'll have to take a look into that stuff, is it this http://www.amazon.com/oz-Jewelers-Rouge-Polishing-Compound/dp/B0009SOB9O ?

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
/\ yeah, but this is what I use.

www.zephyrpro40.com

You must be registered for see images

final...

Rouges...

with whatever for final rub.. this is nice stuff though...

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way I found some lights that look like they will work and are glass :eek:

Not ford, I'll give it a shot and make a article if it works. Brick noses might finally get glass that looks stock :sly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon

Staff online