86 with 88 7.3l battery draw

ramdriver15

Reaction score
The girlfriends (OSU86Diesel) truck is beeing a pain in the rear. has a battery drav, spliced over the 7.3 engine harness and this draw showed up. Cant figure it out. we ave disonected all the harneses and the only time it goes away is when the interior connector is removed and the alt. regulatr s disconnected....

-cuss this thing is killing me

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
It sounds like the alternator is not powering down. The field is staying energized and that will kill a battery.
Do you have the original style (Gen1) alternator that has an external regulator or the new style (Gen2) that has an internal regulator? If it has 2 plugs it is internal (not likely on a diesel) if it has 1 plug and 1 Lug for the batt+ it is most likely external. Either way, you need to figure out what is energizing the alternator or voltage regulator (if external).
Ken

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Also, Alternator batt+ should be hot all the time but everything else on the alternator should only be hot when the key is the on position.
Ken

tknomaj

Reaction score
[The field wire for alt should only have power with key in on position check that wire and correct and problem like ken said should go away
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I just found the other post on this. The poster states that the vo;tage regulator is warm to the touch after a few hours. This tells me that the regulator is staying energized when it whould not be. Correct that problem and everything should be fine again.
Ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online