86 no crank

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 86 f250 6.9 that all of the sudden wont crank. We have full battery but no crank. It is a manual tranny but i bypassed the clutch safety and still no crank. I cant sseem to figure it out. Please help.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bad connection at the starter? starter not engaging? trace down your wires to the starter, you know your battery is good only other thing to crank the engine is the starter, unless it hydrolocked or some how locked up

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 86 f250 6.9 that all of the sudden wont crank. We have full battery but no crank. It is a manual tranny but i bypassed the clutch safety and still no crank. I cant sseem to figure it out. Please help.

Wow, that's pretty vague.

How do you know that the battery? NOT BATTERIES? is/are fully charged?

Have you removed and cleaned and redone all battery connections making sure no corrosion?

Have you attempted to manually bypass the starter solenoid? Have you attempted to turn over engine by hand ....large socket on the crank pulley?

Perhaps your ignition switch is shot on the column?

Are the battery cables in good operating condition and have no corrosion? Or are there issues there?

Are you grounds all checked and clean?

Is the starter relay/solenoid on the fender or hangining loosely? In other words properly grounded?

Help us out and please be descriptive with detail about what you have done and what you haven't done.

Maybe the starter is dead?

Is the solenoid clicking? Are you hearing anything?

Have you tried wiggling the steering wheel a bit while turning key?

So many things to check....get back to us on the answers to these questions please and then it helps narrow down things immensely.

Sealboy_04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck is a daily driver with the sudden problem not cranking. I am so sorry that I didn't specify TWO batteries. I figured that was understood.
Engine isn't locked, BOTH batterie are charged, clutch safety is bypassed.
Truck was having crank problems intermittently before, but slamming down on the clutch pedal started it. So that's why I went to bypassing the safety. Figured someone with experience would know the highest probability immediate onset problems.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My wild ass guess is the ignition switch is bad. I say that because you felt hammering down on the clutch peddle helped it start. Now you bypassed the switch and it still wont kick over. Classic ignition switch problem. The do wear out and they are adjustable too. The hammering the clutch may have been shocking the bad connection to connect... Now it wont. Easy way to know for sure if the switch is bad. Jumper the fender starter solenoid. Remove the tiny wire that pulls off the small lug. Jump that small lug to the large lug. If the engine cranks.. You found the ignition switch is the issue.

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wild ass guess is the ignition switch is bad. I say that because you felt hammering down on the clutch peddle helped it start. Now you bypassed the switch and it still wont kick over. Classic ignition switch problem. The do wear out and they are adjustable too. The hammering the clutch may have been shocking the bad connection to connect... Now it wont. Easy way to know for sure if the switch is bad. Jumper the fender starter solenoid. Remove the tiny wire that pulls off the small lug. Jump that small lug to the large lug. If the engine cranks.. You found the ignition switch is the issue.

make sure it is in NUETRAL before you do, dont want it taking off on you

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure it is in NUETRAL before you do, dont want it taking off on you

First thing I would do is jump the fender mounted solenoid. The wire that connects it to the ignition has ton broken on me before. And yes, make sure it's in neutral - or at least keep your foot out of the way of the front tire. Wearing leather boots all the time really protects your feet from everyday hazards.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1000 on the neutral check with this test. Couple summers ago a guy in a nearby town did this and ran over and killed himself.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck is a daily driver with the sudden problem not cranking. I am so sorry that I didn't specify TWO batteries. I figured that was understood.
Engine isn't locked, BOTH batterie are charged, clutch safety is bypassed.
Truck was having crank problems intermittently before, but slamming down on the clutch pedal started it. So that's why I went to bypassing the safety. Figured someone with experience would know the highest probability immediate onset problems.

Unfortunately we only have what anyone here has written to go by, if it's not clearly written to assume it does a disservice to the cause.

Please don't mistake my query as being harsh, I was trying to get you to write out very thoroughly what's going on in as much detail as possible.

We see this all the time and various members have to prod and ask lots of questions to get enough info to provide good concise diagnosis.

BTW, please take a few minutes and fill in your signature as it's a help to us too!

As for what is going on, have you actually properly got the clutch bypass done?

You never answered if you can bypass the starter solenoid.

Please go back over my first post, and clearly answer the questions so we don't keep hashing over things needlessly.

JM2CW

Al

Houndsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok my 87 ford 6.9 will not crank!!!! Battery(s) good charged up!! I replaced the relay and tryed to crank it nothing!!!! I then jumped that same relay and it was clicking but not cranking. What is my next
Move the starter? Please help me out

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online

No members online now.