85 Rear Fuel Tank

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So when I bought my 6.9, the previous owner had removed both tanks and only replaced the front tank. It's not even the right tank, it holds 24ish gallons, but runs out with 8 gallons left, doesn't have the right sending unit and was hooked up bypassing the tank selector which is zip-tied beside it and taped off at least so it didn't get contaminated.

I can live with the front tank being wrong since it at least works and I know 225 miles is my cut off (made it 250 but was sputtering), but I'd like to add a rear tank again.

My question is what would be the best tank considering I also need a filler neck, sending unit, and straps because I have nothing for where the rear tank once was?

I know you can do the whole 38 gallon bronco tank, but would like this to not require too much modification as I need to be driving the thing this fall / winter and I'm kinda going to be running short on time as we're crazy busy at work until christmas basically. I'm just sick of ever few days having to fill up and keep track of whether I'm close to 225 with no trip meter.

My1500DollarTruck

Reaction score
If you pull your bed off, swapping in a rear tank not that big of a deal. I just did the 38G upgrade on my 1992 f250. 18g would much easier due to size and dimensions . I also had to pull the receiver assembly/ install the tank/ and then reinstall the receiver. I was going to replace the front, but after draining, cleaning out the old broken pickup tubes it was pretty clean so I left it.
I also wired up both tanks with their own fuel gauges on a pillar pod and swapped out the 6 pole selector valve to x2 3 pole so the supply and return are now 2 separate systems. Default fails back to rear on both supply/return. The stock fuel selector switch acts now a just a on/off switch.

as for missing parts, all the straps/bolts/filler tube/vent can be purchased or pulled from a yard .

riphip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also would go with the 38 gallon tank. You can get the proper sender for it also. Will be the next mod I do

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 38 gallon tank doesn’t require much work to get in a 2wd truck that doesn’t have the skid plates, even by yourself. If you buy a new tank (I’d recommend it over dealing with an old one) let me know what you’re missing and I will put together what you need.

It is 4wd, I don't know how much further that complicates using the 38 gallon tank

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the truck has the off-road package it may have a skid plate that you need to remove, but it’s likely gone already. Just another step

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

That's my empty area. So which 38 gallon tank has everyone had luck with? I keep finding two part numbers.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like the upper straps are there, as well as fuel lines and plug for gauge. You need a tank, filler neck, lower straps, and sending unit.
LMC has everything accept filler neck for diesel.
pn#43-5050 19gal steel tank $110.00
pn#43-4068 Sending unit $100.00
pn#43-4060 Tank Strap Set Lower $25.00

Another consideration given your location would be a plastic / polyethylene tank. Raybuck (located in Pittsburgh) sells them. SKU 4253 $178.00
PS: Gasser filler necks work however it's a "slow fill-up".

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds good, I might just do the steel tank and paint it. Weird you can't buy the filler necks.

@Thewespaul do you happen to have a rear filler neck?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian, you have the same exhaust hangers I do LOL

They're the best! Haha. Worst part is the nice rubber factory ones that havent rusted off since the truck sat in a heated garage most of its life, dont reach my super duty exhaust system the previous owners gave me. So close.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesels were not popular (when compared to gas) during our era. I have gas filler necks in both tanks with the plastic liner removed. I always try to find a pump with the small nozzle.
That sounds good, I might just do the steel tank and paint it. Weird you can't buy the filler necks.

@Thewespaul do you happen to have a rear filler neck?

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Diesels were not popular (when compared to gas) during our era. I have gas filler necks in both tanks with the plastic liner removed. I always try to find a pump with the small nozzle.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind that either as my station I go to has the smaller nozzles. I can't find the filler neck for a gasser that looks like the complete thing.. this is what comes up..

https://m.autozone.com/fuel-deliver...um-fuel-tank-filler-neck/802638_151207_0?aqs=

That doesn't look correct at all.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That appears to be the rubber piece separating tank and metal fill tube. LMC has the gasser parts listed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online