83-86 AC question

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I'm working on gathering the parts to add factory air conditioning to my 84. Ive got the heater box and ducting so far. Ive also got a compressor on order.

Ive been looking at the hose assemblies and there are two types listed. One is with valves on the compressor and the other is without valves. Ive only seen a couple trucks with factory air and can't remember how they were setup. What was the more common setup, with valves or without? Also where can I find that piece that adapts from the compressor to the lines?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
My '86 doesn't have a compressor but is factory AC. It has a bracket for a Sanden compressor. Every other factory AC vehicle I have has been 60s and has had a York compressor. So, I'd wager sometime between 1960 and 1986 there was a switch from York to Sanden.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I think the compressors were actually made by Ford that came on trucks with factory air? Ford FS6 is the model I come up with. Also seems the valve assembly on the compressor was used till 1989.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have the non AC radiator? ie the short wide one. If so, you will need to get creative routing lines through the core support.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Do you have the non AC radiator? ie the short wide one. If so, you will need to get creative routing lines through the core support.

Yeah that's going to be interesting to say the least. Wish the truck had a narrow rad. Lot more replacement options available with them.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '86 doesn't have a compressor but is factory AC. It has a bracket for a Sanden compressor. Every other factory AC vehicle I have has been 60s and has had a York compressor. So, I'd wager sometime between 1960 and 1986 there was a switch from York to Sanden.
Hang onto that bracket. The sanden is a much better compressor than the fs6

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will post some pictures of the A/C system on my '84 for you tomorrow.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, my '84 has factory A/C, using an FS6 compressor and the valves in the manifold. IMHO the valves are kinda pointless...they're meant to be able to seal off the system so that you can replace the compressor without losing the charge. However, there are no provisions to pull a vacuum on just the compressor, so you end up introducing atmospheric air (and therefore moisture) into the system. I tried to replace the compressor using the valves, and ended up getting enough moisture into the system that the water droplets froze and blew the relief vent. Also, the valves were pretty frozen up and difficult to turn...IIRC I ended up needing to use vise grips and fouled up the shafts pretty good.

So, if you can get a manifold without the valves, IMHO you'd be better off going that route.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the non ac rad you will need to get condensor to comp and evap hoses custom made, not a big deal, fs6 is a fine compressor. No valves, just more leak points. I saw a manifold on ebay, 15.00 iirc. also I may have a few spares if you get in a jam.
I highly reccomend a universal condensor as the oe one will have connections pointing to the engine, where as the universal will point to the sides. And those tubes dont like to be bent around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin