'70 F-100 w/International D301

HondaCowboy82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PM sent. Can i get a video of startup and run? Also interior pictures? Not afraid to fly to Portland, provided it would make the trip back down to AZ.

dubl_t

Reaction score
Not a problem Cowboy,
I'm technologically challenged and its my sons truck, but I'll relay the info.
What part of AZ? Maybe I'll drive out myself ;)

dubl_t

Reaction score
That's crazy!! I know a guy on a houndsman website who has a ranch down there, he said he comes across dead nationals all the time!

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Im really interested in this rig, I just found out about it night before last and I started calling the number in the original post. Im in North East Portland. I havent reached anyone at the number listed or had a return call on the voicemails I have left, So I will try this route. Please get back with me when you get a chance so I can come by and get a look at it at least.

Thanks,
R. Justin
aka Punkmechanic

dubl_t

Reaction score
Sorry my son didn't get back to you Punk, call me at 503-320-9282. I'll be home all weekend. If I don't asnwer please leave a message.
Tom.

Cowboy, I'll get you a video as soon as I can, would a cell phone version work, and could I send that to your phone?
Tom.

dubl_t

Reaction score
Cowboy,
still working on that video, it's been raining steady here now.

on an update, Punk came over and gave the truck the once over along with a test drive, so I encourage him to post his honest opinions.
Thanks, Tom.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
Met Tom and Dylan this evening and (as said above) looked over the truck and test drove it. Its in great shape for the year and age, paint is so so but no rust through anywhere that I could see and body lines are straight. Doors open easy and close solid, as does hood. The engine barely fits front to rear but has ample room side to side. Due to the clearance I cannot get a good guesstimate of what the adapter plate looks like and as such cant tell if the bell housing bolt pattern is diesel, small block ford, or big block ford. The t19 is so common in so many vehicles it coulda come from anywhere. The engine runs out well, but runs up quick. It is a rapid pattern shifting, reving shifting, and the shifter is more vague than I remember most t19's (I have driven a fair number but never owned one). The steering is loose and will need steering linkage and maybe a rebuilt steering box or box tightened (aka take slack out). The ride is good even with the lift and big tires and the tires barely rub at full lock, turning radius is still tight. front dif, rear dif, trans and transfer case are all leaking/seeping fluid. This is not unusual for this year range, especially when sitting for long periods of time. May clear up if driven regularly or may need further attention. Tires have plenty of life left with 50-60 percent tread left. Front shocks are new. The glow plug system is on a momentary push button and seems to suffice, although I think the 87-93 idi controller could be made to work and would be a great improvement. At least one if not two injectors are hanging open and leaking down. cold start is a fair amount of gray smoke that clears when engine is warm. This could be timing? an injector or pump issue? or possibly a valve adjustment is needed ( Im wondering if this has solid lifters due to the age and agriculture intended use). I wonder how the drive lines, axles, and t case hold up to the torque generated but nothing looks damaged or "too new".

All in all I feel that its a good solid start to a project and will be a very nice truck. There is nothing seriously wrong that I could find in my once over, there is a list of "nickel and dime" things that will add up. It could be a real issue trying to find a replacement clutch or flywheel, or adapter plate.

I did make an undisclosed offer that is lower than the asking price. I feel my offer is fair considering what the truck currently has and is, what it needs, and what direction I would personally go with it.

All of these views are at best my opinion, and at worse my perspective. Take all of this at face value "with a grain of salt".

Tom and Dylan both seem genuine and fair. As I said I made an offer and that should stand for something.