7.3L IDI issues

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than cavitation, what are the other issues with the 7.3L IDI engine? What are the best ways to prevent cavitation, or is it something that just has to be dealt with on these engine? I found a truck that has 7.3 IDI, with a better body than my truck. Just wondering if I get the truck, should I stick with the 7.3, or transfer my 6.9 in it.

Thanks for the adivce.

Tim

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other issue is the valve guides/seals where changed between the 6.9 and 7.3 IDI. The 7.3 uses/burns less oil, but the can drop valves more frequently as well.

Cavitation is a big worry, but with properly maintained coolant SCA/DCA levels, you should be fine.

Heath

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What causes it to drop valves? Can any head work be done to prevent this?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Changing the older positive seal valve guide seals will change the dropped valve issues. I really don't think you can buy the old seals any longer. The intake valve seals are black viton with a spring around them. They fit on the guides in the head. The exhaust seals are white and they are set into the top of the spring keeper. They do not install on the guides in the heads like the intakes do. Somebody will post a picture of this hopefully. Everybody likes pictures....

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
check out all early signs of cavitation. thats the best advise your going to get about it, if there are no signs of it, then by just keeping the sca's (napa kool for me) up to par, cavitation should stop in its tracks. you cant prevent it, but you can help guard against it.