7.3 wit factory turbo

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
am puttin a cummins in hear soon and will be selling this engine and was wandering how much i should ask for it??? 7.3 factory turbo 257000 miles 3 new injectors and beru glow plugs bout a year ago and relay/controller,, the turbo needs rebuilt and will need a new compressor wheel to.. so what do you guys think its worth?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the engine is a good runner with no obvious problems maybe 800-1000 for it. I personally would treat it as a core and not give more than 600 for it unless I had to have one. Even as a core it might be worth a bit more than that with the factory turbo internals. As for the turbo, if you already know it needs a turbo kit and compressor wheel, that's going to cost the new owner upwards of 300-500 bucks right there, so I think it about cuts the turbo's value in half, I'd say from 800-1000 to 300-500 or so if you manage to get all the gauges piping and goodies that go with it. I think you'll get around 1200 for the whole deal or around 1800-2000 if you separate everything out. Good luck with the conversion, others feel free to disagree if I am being to miserly about this.

David94IDIT

Reaction score
In a desperate situation looking for an engine, I paid 2k for mine. I had to pull it out of the truck and then drop it into mine. The nice thing was that I was able to start it and listen to it run. Fired right up after sitting for a long time. I had it towed home from a body shop to pull the engine. When I was done, I called the owner to have the rest haulled away.

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea i didnt think i would get much out of the turbo i was thinkin @ 450 or so the motor does run well i think i just put over 400 miles on it this past weekend and it didnt give me any trouble at all,, i think it will prolly need the rest of the injectors changed but i usually do work that really dosnt need to be done.. does anyone on here need a motor or turbo kit in the next month or so?

ford5.9

ford5.9
Reaction score
When I went with a Cummins for my 94 Ford I pulled my turbo diesel out and sold it pretty easy for $1500, and it had 210K miles and a not so good turbo. The guy did not even want the turbo, he already had his. It all depends on finding that right person that is in need of one. It also helped that the guy was able to hear my motor run before the pull. People will generally dish out a little more when they can verify its a good runner. They are in a sense paying for reassurance. I was able to make money on my Cummins swap after selling the motor and trans and re remains of the donor Dodge. You will enjoy the added fuel economy and pulling power, and not to mention the confused look on people's faces when they see a Ford but hear a (straight exhaust) Dodge....priceless!

Ottoparts

Whoa, that was fun!
Reaction score
Really? Are 6.9 worth as much? I have a good running 6.9 that I got my turbo off of and I have it posted on my local CL for $250 and no bites. =(

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow if i could get 1500 out of it that would be awsome but around here i dont think that will happen i have only seen 3 other idi trucks over the past few years one was a 6.9 and the other two were 7.3 turbo trucks with less than 80,000 miles on them so i dont think they would want my motor...lol

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i paid 500 for my 6.9 and he had it for sale for a while even heard it run before pulled. i am sure i really depends on your area. i have been screwed with "used to run" so personally i dont trust a engine for more than scrap if i cant hear it run.

i woudl say with a good turbo kit you are in the 600-1000 range. probubly on the lower side with the known problems.

ford5.9

ford5.9
Reaction score
It may be regional on what sells better in certain areas. The guy was able to hear my motor run and was willing to pay $1500 for the motor. As far as 6.9s, they run anywhere from $900 to $1200 around here. What some people do around here is just buy a complete truck and use the parts they need and then sell the remains. You can buy a good running truck for $1500 around here, but you go and try to find parts and your back to paying @ $1200 for just a motor. I blew a motor, well, dropped a valve, in my 93 Ford turbo diesel about a year ago and had a hard time finding a good 6.9 motor for under $1200. I live in a area where diesel vehicles are very popular ie. farmers, ranchers, construction companies, ect. That may be the biggest reason for the higher motor prices I see around here. Your best bet is to have David94idit blow his motor because we know he is willing to shell out big money for a motor if he's in a bind. Get his number and keep it on speed dial. I know one thing though, if I found a good 6.9 around here for anywhere around $250, the ink would not be dry on the newsletter ad before I would show up at the front door with the money. I would moth ball that 6.9 and store it for a rainy day, doesn't take up that much room. You may someday come across a clean truck with a blown motor for dirt cheap. Slap the 6.9 in it and make you a few extra grand. If you think about it, just the heads off your motor is worth every bit of the $250 your asking for. I sold a 90 Ford diesel dualy to a young guy awhile back and after he had it a few months he knocked a hole in his radiator, overheated the motor and cracked both heads. He found heads for around $300 and $275 for a radiator. He didn't have much money, new wife and baby, so I gave him a set of heads and a radiator that I had moth balled. You would have thought I gave him one of my kidneys. If you don't have to sell it, it's always good to have a spare. Do you mean the power control module for my cummins?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online