7.3 to eaton 6, the right clutch

Tgould

Reaction score
i have a 1994 F350 CC that i'm working on putting a 7.3 PSD with eaton fuller six behind it. Problem i have is that the eaton has a 1-3/4" input shaft and every clutch i find that i know will fit the engine uses a 1-1/2" disc and a lot of commercial truck sites can't search by vehicle. Does anyone know if there is a clutch combination that will work? Are a lot of med. or heavy duty clutch assemblies the same regardless of make of the truck or am i stuck with having to change the input shaft?

Tgould

Reaction score
that's what i'm trying to do but i cant find a t444e clutch that fits 1.75" input and i have not way of knowing if one i buy online that will fit the trans will bolt to the motor. the only thing i do know it that this trans was offered behind this engine, and Eaton makes them with both 1.5 and 1.75 inputs but i don't think IH ever used the bigger input.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I would be interested to see what you find also. I currently have a spicer 5 speed with a 1.5 input but want to swap in another spicer overdrive with a 1.75 input shaft. Not sure how to find the information.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Tgould

Reaction score
I would be interested to see what you find also. I currently have a spicer 5 speed with a 1.5 input but want to swap in another spicer overdrive with a 1.75 input shaft. Not sure how to find the information.

i'd see if you can get a 1.5 input for to start cause i'm not finding much if anything in way of 1.75 clutches for this engine

subway

Reaction score
I am actually running a medium duty clutch set up with my dt360. I am just running into the same problem that I can't seem to search individual parts and the local IH dealer is friendly but wants a serial number or part number to go off of.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we had a customer with many 2001 -2003 IH T444E powered trucks and they were all 6spd eatons and 7 spd spicer trans. in them and all single axle van bodies. trucks are gone but they were a large clutch on the trucks. they had one of their T444E trucks with a 5spd eaton but it was a short little flatbed on it and smaller GVW. definitely needed more than 5gears :rolleyes: if we were still seeing those trucks I could do some research on them but they all upgraded to freightliner business class trucks while I was away for 2yrs.

Tgould

Reaction score
after digging around different parts supplies it seem 1.5" is the biggest input used with the 7.3. The fs5306a transmission i'm using did come behind that engine but a shaft change is in order. Also the type of clutch (push or pull) and the pilot diameter is needed to get the right one since there are 5 different options. For the most part with eaton, the smallest pilot diameter input with a push clutch looks like the most common one.

Tgould

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone is still looking for this info but for the most part the big commercial clutches are fairly universal. I am able to keep my 1 3/4 input shaft and the pull type mechanism. A 14" clutch from Phoenix friction for that setting fits the 7.3idi, psd, the DT466 and a huge list of other brands and sizes.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you going to make up a custom bracket to fit your clutch slave onto the pull type clutch fork? or are you making your firewall strong enough to go with the manual linkage system?

subway

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone is still looking for this info but for the most part the big commercial clutches are fairly universal. I am able to keep my 1 3/4 input shaft and the pull type mechanism. A 14" clutch from Phoenix friction for that setting fits the 7.3idi, psd, the DT466 and a huge list of other brands and sizes.
Thanks for that information, don't know if this will help you but you can see how I adapted my stock slave to drive my transmission with a 14 " clutch. The pedal is stiffer than stock but not by a whole lot. It's on post 101

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75190

Tgould

Reaction score
are you going to make up a custom bracket to fit your clutch slave onto the pull type clutch fork? or are you making your firewall strong enough to go with the manual linkage system?

i haven't figured out the clutch yet as the truck started out auto but the pull types don't use a fork. They have a rod that runs across the top of the input shaft with a 2 finger claw that hooks into the pressure plate. This rod goes all the way through the housing and has a bracket on the driver side. on my trans it looks like if you took the stock clutch setup and hooked it to the rod in a way so that when the linkage pushed the claw pulled. i had an external slave setup from a '95 when i was looking at this.

and to make it easier the part number for the clutch i found is 107683-5 at Phoenix friction. there is a dual disc version but the single is good for 620ft-lbs and should be more than enough for some 25k lbs loads.