7.3 starts and dies after using WMO blended with diesel

r2d2ctr

Reaction score
I had some WMO laying around and decided to give in a try, so i mixed it with some sulfuric acid (that produced 1/2 gallon of sludge), then filtered it to 1 micron, and blended it 50/50 with diesel. Filled it in my tank and started the truck. It ran fine for an hour then turned it off. after one hour tried to start it again and it started and shut off in a second (a lot of gray smoke came out), purged air from the filter by cranking the engine while pressing the Schrader valve (black diesel came out of it). conected a hose to lift pump and made it pull clean diesel from a can (same result). then cracked return line on injector #1 and very little black diesel came out.

I am thinking to use an electrical lift pump, as my next step.

r2d2ctr

Reaction score
well i found a method to clean wmo oil called acid-clay. its suposed that sulfuric acid "cuts" some aditives in the oil and generates some acid sludge in process. this is old method but no longer used because that sludge is highly contaminant, mainly because that sludge contains most of heavy metals contained in WMO.

I got a new electric fuel gas, is a carter P61295S, I'm goin to use it for testing purposes, if it works, maybe later get holley red.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't say I remember reading about the sulfuric acid method... Did you neutralize any residual acid?

I do recall reading about some chemical processes to clean oil, but they always hada neutralizer or catalyst to deal with the chemicals.

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if there's a pump and injectors full of acid... Gnarly.

r2d2ctr

Reaction score
well, I wouldnt say "full of acid" because I just used like a pound of acid and got back like 4 pounds, besides sulfuric acid has a lot more density than oil, it tends to settle down.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check for flow out of the mechanical pump when cranking. I don't think adding an electric pump will help you out, unless for some reason your mech pump took a crap on you.

If mech pump has good flow, move on to flow out of Schrader valve while cranking, then down the line to fuel out of injector hard lines at the injector.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard of using Methal alchol for washing process or some part of process for Waste Veggie oil but never heard of Acid in Waste Motor oil.

Sounds to me like you need to flush the system and soon to remove any of that material

I wonder how that stuff reacts with fuel tanks?

Without neautralizing you have no way to no what amount of acid would remain in the mixture, the sludge may indeed be a by-product that however does not say it contained all the acid you added.

My suggestion...get that crap outta yer truck as fast as you can and see what can be used to neutralize it as it's in feed, return, injectors, lift pump, tank/s, fuel filter and IP...you have a whole lot of work to do coming up and fast

r2d2ctr

Reaction score
ok thanks for the advise, i just flushed away all the stuff, put in fresh diesel, installed electric lift pump, changed fuel filter and primed it with fresh diesel and lucas upper cylinder lubricant (that is the better injector cleaner aditive we can get in mexico, no seafoam nor diesel klean). then purged shrader valve, then cracked all injector lines till clear diesel came out.
still getting same result, starts for a second and dies (a lot of gray/white smoke when starts but that was previous behavior). could you please give me some more advise about what else to do.

r2d2ctr

Reaction score
ok, right now i will not be able to get an installation kit, will taking apart hoses, caps, o rings and clean them out do the trick? maybe get some hose in proper measurements and replace just the hoses?

Black dawg

Reaction score
ok, right now i will not be able to get an installation kit, will taking apart hoses, caps, o rings and clean them out do the trick? maybe get some hose in proper measurements and replace just the hoses?

Return from the injection pump to the tank needs to be unrestricted. If the connector at the return on the top of the pump were plugged, it would also do this....or farther in.....vent wire.

r2d2ctr

Reaction score
ok thanks to black dawg it started today, I cleaned a check valve just before return line on top of pump, besides, a friend of mine, aplied ether and pushed thortle to bottom and voila...

now i just have the problem thortle been unresponsive and needs to be higher idle. would this improve with use? or did I definitely damaged my injection pump?

r2d2ctr

Reaction score
ok here is the news, it was definitely the check valve before the return on top of injection pump, said that, i just primed fuel filter full of lucas upper cylinder lubricant, and filled some more fresh diesel in tank, turned it on and I have to say is almost recovered... reacts to thortle!!!, idles almost perfectly goes up and down in revs. only thing is it seems to need idle a little higher than before and if i press thortle very fast and then depress it fast too, it dies, (also temp gauge raised to the N of NORMAL, but i think is because of lucas oil).

another question, i would like to leave my electrical lift pump in line with my mechanical fuel pump. and use de electrical for priming purposes only. is it posible?

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel will likely pass through the electric pump when it is off but I understand not through the lift pump if the engine is not running. So you could put the electric pump in parallel and add a valve to switch it in for priming and out for running. Many (mee too) just go straight electric.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger