bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Here is the latest video of a start, run, die while monitoring with Torque Pro:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Be careful doing so, but try wiggling the wiring to the cps while it's running. You also may just pull it to inspect it. Or try swapping if you have a spare.
Far as the ipr, you can try swapping just the solenoid.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

13fcolt

former professional
Reaction score
I'd try cleaning the IPR, then run with the valve covers off and check to make sure the injectors are all spitting oil properly. Hitting a high duty cycle with low pressure suggests high pressure oil leak, or bad IPR. Could just need injector orings, or they've come loose. You'll notice with the valve covers off, one or more injectors will have oil coming out around them instead of the spout.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could get an IPR rebuild kit, pull and disassemble your IPR. Do some searching, you should be able to pull the solenoid off and remove the IPR with a 29mm axle nut socket (again google is your friend). You might get lucky and find that there's a bad oring or maybe the internal barrel on the IPR is loose. It's pretty easy and the IPR rebuild kit is pretty cheap, probably worth your time to try it.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Fred lives!

After spending all morning finding a socket deep enough to get the IPR out, the IPR got swapped with a spare one I had. It fired up right away and died. Not a bad for a cold start at 0C.
After I fired it up again, it was galloping, like it was running on 4 cylinders. Well, that's different than what it was doing before. I checked the UVCH connections, they were attached.

After revving the engine, it seemed to smooth out a bit. Maybe it was some air in the system. I took the video below at that time.

It warmed up while I put the rest of the intake system back together. The longer it ran, the smoother it got. Maybe I just need to take it for a good run, but I think Fred's a runner again. :)

See, sometimes it pays to be a horder. Oh wait, if it's spare parts, it's not hording right?

Thanks for the directions guys! I would never have guessed that the IPR would make the engine behave like that.

13fcolt

former professional
Reaction score
Glad you got it running.
As lotzagoostuff mentioned, rebuild kits are cheap. Cleaning up the old one as a spare is what I did.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fred lives!

After spending all morning finding a socket deep enough to get the IPR out, the IPR got swapped with a spare one I had. It fired up right away and died. Not a bad for a cold start at 0C.
After I fired it up again, it was galloping, like it was running on 4 cylinders. Well, that's different than what it was doing before. I checked the UVCH connections, they were attached.

After revving the engine, it seemed to smooth out a bit. Maybe it was some air in the system. I took the video below at that time.

It warmed up while I put the rest of the intake system back together. The longer it ran, the smoother it got. Maybe I just need to take it for a good run, but I think Fred's a runner again. :)

See, sometimes it pays to be a horder. Oh wait, if it's spare parts, it's not hording right?

Thanks for the directions guys! I would never have guessed that the IPR would make the engine behave like that.

Lack of smoke and still "poor" cold start running suggest armature clearance issues...I'd check each with a feeler gauge or at least pull a valve cover again and look for even oil flow from all of the injector spouts....no oil means the injector isn't firing.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
### Update ###

It turns out it was not the IPR! The weekend after I swapped the IPR, I started the truck and the same thing happened: Starts, runs, and dies! Doh! I let the truck sit for a while (weeks) and then replaced the Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor. Still no change. Then I managed to get the PCM and IDM from another 1996 F250 truck my brother had at the farm.
Swapped the PCM. No change. I also checked the wiring harness for any breaks, chaffing, or anything that might affect the running of the truck. Everything looked good.
Lastly, today I replaced the IDM. Lo and behold, that fixed the problem! In the past I have seen where the IDM failed, it failed completely, no intermittent funny business.

The reason for the failure was water in the IDM! I've seen that in vans, but not in a pickup. When I pulled the IDM out I could feel and hear the water sloshing around inside:

Close to 1/2 cup of water came out of the IDM:

Finally, truck running happily:

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of water in the SD, but not the OBS trucks. Intersting....maybe IDM seals are failing after 2+ decades. Glad you got the truck fixed.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
greenskeeper, I think you are right about the seals failing.

You must be registered for see images attach

It looks like the IDM had been replaced previously, as this was a 110 V unit that starts with F7. The truck is a 1996.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI: the newer 7.3 IDM versions are supposed to be better than the previous OBS models, but bad seals will kill them regardless of model.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Today, I took apart the IDM. Judging by the corrosion, it looks like the water had been in there for some time.

Corrosion on circuit board. Bottom middle you can see where the water level was:

Close-up:

I have no intention of trying to fix it. There are at least 6 spots that need resoldering. I broke a ceramic resistor while scraping corrosion off to get a better look at it, and whatever other parts it needs. Maybe my brother can fix it.