7.3 idi water in oil

wlf89

Reaction score
about 3 weeks ago i hauled a mini excavator about 20 miles and came home, i checked the oil before i left and it was right on the money, made it home and parked it. and now today i was needing to haul some cows, was going to hook the trailer up and before i got in the truck noticed a oil puddle under the truck. checked the oil and it was over full by several inches. rolled down the hill most of way to shop and cranked it to pull in the 50ft and it was pouring oil/water out on the fuel pump block off plate from when i switched it to electric pump.

so i drained the oil to confirm there was water in it, and about 3 gallon of water came out. but the radiator is still up where i can see it good only few inches from top.

3 days ago i was mowing and didnt notice the oil puddle under the truck its like it just started.

would head gaskets or cavitaion be the most likely things wrong or could there be something else allowing water into the oil?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
about 3 weeks ago i hauled a mini excavator about 20 miles and came home, i checked the oil before i left and it was right on the money, made it home and parked it. and now today i was needing to haul some cows, was going to hook the trailer up and before i got in the truck noticed a oil puddle under the truck. checked the oil and it was over full by several inches. rolled down the hill most of way to shop and cranked it to pull in the 50ft and it was pouring oil/water out on the fuel pump block off plate from when i switched it to electric pump.

so i drained the oil to confirm there was water in it, and about 3 gallon of water came out. but the radiator is still up where i can see it good only few inches from top.

3 days ago i was mowing and didnt notice the oil puddle under the truck its like it just started.

would head gaskets or cavitaion be the most likely things wrong or could there be something else allowing water into the oil?
It may be the oil cooler. I am going through the same problem, and everything points to the oil cooler needing rebuilt. I removed it from the truck earlier this week, I had to jack the motor up 3 or 4 inches to get it out. I got the o rings and gaskets from rockauto for $15

Rock

wlf89

Reaction score
forgot to mention its a 1994 and turbo if makes a difference.

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your radiator is stil full, where did the water come from? Need to look some more.

wlf89

Reaction score
radiator isnt full but its not 3 gallon low either, but dont know anywhere else it could have came from, i did have it backed under my shed half way and all of the rain would have been draining off the roof of shed onto windshield and cowl area, but is there any possible way for the rain to have gotten into the engine? we did have atleast 6inches of rain while it was parked there.

its not fuel, the fuel pump is 2 feet away mounted on the fender.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s a turbo, it seems like it would have to get in through the turbo oil drain grommet. That’s the only way I can think of rain water getting into the crankcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You’re sure it’s water? It’s grey and milky looking?

wlf89

Reaction score
it was grey looking for about 2.5-3gallon and then about 2-2.5 gallon of black oil came out. once the oil started coming out it was pure black and looked and smelled normal.

i only ran it 30 secs to pull into shop so i guess the oil hadnt mixed good and had sat for hour or little more before i drained it

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it doesn’t smell like antifreeze and seems to be rain water, I’d put the plug back in oil pan, don’t fill with oil. Get out the water hose and soak it down where the water from your shed roof was hitting it. Soak it good, then look at top of engine for standing water, wait an hour and remove oil pan plug and see if there is water again.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If it doesn’t smell like antifreeze and seems to be rain water, I’d put the plug back in oil pan, don’t fill with oil. Get out the water hose and soak it down where the water from your shed roof was hitting it. Soak it good, then look at top of engine for standing water, wait an hour and remove oil pan plug and see if there is water again.
This seems like very good advice.

Old Goat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s a turbo, it seems like it would have to get in through the turbo oil drain grommet. That’s the only way I can think of rain water getting into the crankcase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a drain behind the Turbo Oil Drain, and or for CDR. It is to drain any water off in case of fuel leak.
It drins down the back of the engine

My BIL and I were at PNP this past week ****** parts off a 85, 86 and 89 IDI. we pulled off two manifolds, and both engines had that drain plugged solid with crap.
I guess it is possible for water to leak in around the Turbo/CDR grommet if it is old and cracked.

Goat

wlf89

Reaction score
i done one better it was calling for rain last night and today so i pulled the truck back under the shed as close to way it was sitting as possible with my tractor and see if it happens again. after sleeping on it thats the only thing that makes sense. my antifreeze is red and not all that low and the water that came out was just alittle greyish but kinda clear still to.

wlf89

Reaction score
there was water in the engine again after the rain. im gonna change the oil twice with some cheaper oil, and the third time with my regular oil and i hope i will be good to go. im not 100% sure where the water came in but learned my lesson not to park it under a shed roof. just normal rain has never been a issue, i think i will try and keep it in the barn, since its just a farm truck for hauling hay, cows and other heavy loads.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online

Members online