7.3 idi tps strange issues

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. Bought new tps for tye truck. Check wiring and plug perfect condition no issues. Install new tps. Checked the range and it was at .800 v at idle. So I lossend bolts turned and hoghest it went was .869. So I took of and tur ed to where it would ve able to twist higher. Then put on check reading. Maxed out. Checked new tps tye range was correct. Went from .2 to 5 v. Is it possible that the throttle piece it goes over could have shifted and that would be why I can set it right. It is the only thing that makes sense. I adjusted idle to proper spec. Idles great but reading dropped at idle to .400. Only thing that hold me from adjusing it is a set screw and atorque ring. Im a diesel mechanic work on semi's 50 hrs a week. This truck has done nothing but challenge me from day 1. Some input would be great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
To check the operation of a bad tps you need a special scanner tool that watches the range from idle to wide open throttle for drop outs. This means the wire on the board has worn thru and the signal drops out causing the trans computer to fail. So just because a digital voltmeter tells you it looks good they usually are shot with 50,000 or more miles on them. Every time to change the throttle the contacts rub the wires and they fail. Now for your issues. Please look at the tps you removed. See the rust or the wear areas in the drive end. Thats how the new tps must be installed. Usually you have to wind them on the shaft till they fit the screw holes. Usually there is some spring pressure on the tps when it wound on the drive tab ob the end of the throttle shaft.

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I did rhat but it reads to high. And runs like crap transmissiong goes bat **** crazy anyway I have it adjusted. Thats why I came to conclussion of that throttle shafting moving and thats why the old one read low and went into failsafe.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need a special scanner tool, just a 5V analog voltmeter. You can get one from ebay for under five bucks, if you buy just the panel mount part.

I'd check to make sure 5V is reliably getting to the FIPL in the first place

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the TPS there are 4 little tabs on the inside facing the IP, on the IP shaft there is a metal tab, that tab has to go under the tab on the left side of the TPS and on top of the tab straight across from it so when the IP shaft is rotated, it turns the TPS rheostat. Set the voltage at idle position between .92 and 1.2 VDC.

Last edited:

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right so if it rotates back moving the tps back lowering the start voltage that would be the issue. Correct or is that a very uncommon issue.

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has the flap head that goes in the tps. I have tryed every postion possible. I think that shaft has rotated back out of normal position which is why I cant set propperly

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys type to fast, read my post above for the correct way to set the tabs.

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got yea I post back when I go out to adjust again

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A digital voltmeter will not tell you if the tps is shot. The scanner sees the micro drops in voltage that a voltmeter wont see. To the original poster. What wire on the tps plug are you checking the voltage from. The center of the 3 wires is the one you need to check idle to wide open throttle on. Its green if I recall correctly...

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are no fins on the back side of the plate.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1395868998555.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1395868998555.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 87

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The tab your showing is the one that goes inside of the TPS rheostat with the four tabs inside it. You cannot move the one showing, it has a roll pin thru it so it can't move or be clocked to a different position. Re-read my post on how to position the TPS.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats the tab you have pictured. The tps winds up on that tab. Try opening the throttle and watch that tab move. Then you may understand how it opens the tps. Please look at the old tps and see what side this tab fits by the rusty or dirty wear marks it makes in that tps. Hope this helps you more and thanks for the great pic. It helps everyone understand whats going on. That tab can be removed by loosening up 2 very small allen screws. But you must know how its supposed to fit the throttle shaft. I usually take pics with my cell phone just so I can see the before and after pics. Then load them to my computer or just delete them from my phone.

travisjulian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I never thpught about trying to move the throotle to position it. I have spun it in my hand put it on and tryed that. Do I want to go clockwise or counter clockwise.as far as winding it. Its a pain to get the holes lined up. I had it set good once but the holes didnt line up and when I did line them up it was pretty much maxed at 4.99v