7.3 idi retarded timing??

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys i know its been along time since i've posted on her but my trucks been acting funny since i got it and i've decided to get it fixed. well they guy that had it before me had the injector pump off of it and since i got it it's always been hard to start but its always started easier when its cold(cold timing advance??). i've noticed that when im trying to start it when its warm there is alot of white smoke, then after a good bit of cranking it starts. i have also noticed that its kinda slugish my dads idi has alot more get up and go power i think..... could this be retarded timing?

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Not sure where to start but I would bring the engine to top dead center on cylinder #1 and then remove the oil fill spout and see where the dowel pin that goes through the IP gear if it is in any other position other than the 5 o'clock then the person before removed and installed the IP pump wrong and it could be off a couple of teeth on the timing gears, if that is the case, then the IP pump needs to come off along with the pump gear, with the #1 cylinder at TDC the "Y" should be at the top the next step would to get a small mirror to verfiy this and then get the pump gear and line up the timing marks properly, the pump gear must be removed from the IP pump first to do this or you wont be able to line up the timing marks, once the timing marks are lined up on the gears installed install the IP gear cover that was also removed from the pump, now install the pump, and for future removal of the pump all you have to do is remove the 3 small bolts that hold the IP gear to the pump which is the proper way to remove the pump, there are several articles in the tech section that goes into greater deatil, also to properly time the pump to the engine you will need a timing machine, the first step in the timing process is the static timing which means alls the gears are timied right and the pump is close to where it was before it was removed, then get yourself the timing meter to dynamiclly time the pump to the engine running

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you, is there a special way to bring the #1 piston up the way if done it with a gas engine is put a ratchet handle down the spark plug hole and then turn the engine over by hand... i dont think you can do it this way on a diesel....

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
The vibration damper or harmonic balancer that is bolted to the front of the crankshaft should have timing refernce marks on it and there is a timing pointer on the timing gear cover just above the vibration damper at about the 11 o'clock position, you may have clean the rust and paint off, if the "0" or "TDC" or it maybe a scribed line, is lined up with pointer then #1 should be at TDC

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could loosen the pump and advance it to see if it makes any difference

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just do a quarter width twoards the passanger side, that should make a diffrance.
There are lines on the ip and the gear housing line thoes up if they are not already, then advance it from there.

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^to ADVANCE the pump turn it to PASSENGER SIDE(when you are looking at the engine, standing infront of it)
i believe.

somone please set the record straight

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^to ADVANCE the pump turn it to PASSENGER SIDE(when you are looking at the engine, standing infront of it)
i believe.

somone please set the record straight

^^^^
Guess I was wrong sorry about that :cheers:

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above is not correct... Turn the top of the pump towaards the PASSENGER SIDE of the truck. That is advancing the timing. I like to make a center punch mark right in the pump to mounting gear cover joint. Then I know clearly how much it moved. Plus I can return it there easy just by matching up th 2 half circles of the punch mark...

Sorry all. Someone posted a little faster than I could. So to recap this... To advance the timing the pump rotates towards the passanger side fender. Sorry for my bad...

Last edited:

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so do i loosen the pump from the gear housing a turn it or do i take that plate off the front of the gear housing and loosen the three bolts up there?

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
There are 2 studs with nuts that face to the rear of the engine loosen the nuts to rotate the pump, there may be 3 nuts to loosen but I cant remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online