7.3 idi pulling 10k lbs for the first time!

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

this camper is 37 feet all together, pulled it 50 miles Tuesday up and down through hills and the ol' girl didnt like it too much LOL the steepest hill we pulled was prob like 8% grade and i had it massed to the floor doing 20 mph up the hill, which kinda inspired my other thread "7.3 idi build" because my dad (who is a powerstroke guy) was laughing at me :backoff all most over headed twice..... but this is a all stock truck

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey the idi will take it's sweet old time but like stated before, it will always be the one that gets you to the destination

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you looking on winning land speed record races, you are owning the wrong truck.
if you want to get to where you want to go slowly with the minimum amount of grief, you own the right truck.
no turbo and intercooler will keep you in the slow lane.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What were the EGT's on that long pull? My guess is SCARY! LOL

I can tell you what helped my camper hauler (the F350 crew cab) was the turbo, Moose fuel, typ4 cam, and intercooler. It's still not going to when any races, but it certainly is more capable of hauling that fifth wheel up and down the hills of Kentucky now. :D The addition of the Rodney Red Radiator has eliminated my coolant temp concerns as well.;Sweet

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What towcat anf Heath posted is facts from real life experiances. Not something they rad on the internet. They do the work like many others here and post results. I still find it funny when someone doughts the findings of facts. I don't feel someone is calling a poster a liar either. I guess its like this. Walk a miles in my shoes and then you have the right to complain or critisize.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure what the egts were because i dont have a pyrometer yet... thats why my pump isnt turned up yet LOL , any one know a good place to get a pyrometer?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
she was in 2nd gear and screaming no doubt.as long as you make her talk uphill,the egt's should do ok.
you need to find a turbo kit.unless you only take that out a couple times a year,then oh well.let the old man laugh at ya lol.enjoy the scenery and let the n/a scream.you wont hurt it.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
if you looking on winning land speed record races, you are owning the wrong truck.
if you want to get to where you want to go slowly with the minimum amount of grief, you own the right truck.
no turbo and intercooler will keep you in the slow lane.

Just out of curiosity, since I never seem to hear anybody really quantify the performance, but what would be your usual cruising speed on 6% grades or more with a 10k load. My IDI was an N/A without overdrive. Didn't tow very fast.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Definatly time to turbo/intercool that rig, having never driven an NA truck I knew they were lacking in the power department but geez didn't think it was that bad.
Just out of curiosity, since I never seem to hear anybody really quantify the performance, but what would be your usual cruising speed on 6% grades or more with a 10k load. My IDI was an N/A without overdrive. Didn't tow very fast.
Havnt taken mine over any real hills yet (just Monument) but with 7-8k in tow Ive yet to drop below 60 and I normally just set the cruise at 65 and roll, and that's at roughly 1mile above sea level

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with a 10k+ load climbing the grade from Sacto to Truckee, I can do a comfortable 4th gear at 50-55mph. with the IC, there was no reason to keep an eyeball on the pyro. a glance or two every few minutes was more than sufficient. pulled the NB grade of the grapevine(Int5) in 5th gear loaded with a MBZ 300D riding on a U-haul trailer and didn't even bother looking at the pyro.

Attachments

• IMG_0128.JPG
    IMG_0128.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 83

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
That makes me drool....hell, it's all my 351 can do to maintain 55 up a grade unloaded :rotflmao

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow a 5er on a fairly regular basis. I'm at about 17,500 gcvw. Before the turbo it wouldn't pull 3rd gear up a 6% grade, which meant 2nd gear at about 25 mph. I put on a turbo, and switched to bigger tires (from 33" to 35") at the same time, and now it will pull 3rd gear at about 50-55mph up the big hills. BIG difference.