7.3 idi non turbo using oil

hypermax22

sled puller
Reaction score
i have a friend and he has a 7.3 idi 92 and its using close to a gallon of oil in to weeks. i have been all over this truck and can't fint the problem its not leaking it out no wear. so it must be burning it but can't see any signs of oil out the exsaust any ideas

hypermax22

sled puller
Reaction score
no theres no smoke at all thats what i thought if its burning oil it would smoke but theres no smoke

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much blowby? I've heard of this problem on these trucks. Apparently a lot can get by the valves and rings before you will see any indication of blue smoke in the exhaust. The blowby usually is a good tipoff to a tired out engine and I would be talking about billowing out like a ***** steamer or puffing to the tune of any one cylinder more than the others. If its not excessive engine blowby, it might be the CDR is stuck and needs replacement. Some swear these things have no bearing on oil use but all the manuals say that they can. More often it is leaks or a worn engine that causes high oil use.

hypermax22

sled puller
Reaction score
it has a good bit of blowby but not a hole bunch. but it sounds like the compression is gone. it sounds like a two cylinder john deere out the exsaust. i'am just wondering if i should go ahead and order a rebuild kit for it monday

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won't find a cheap rebuild kit, but the rings and pistons can be had from Diesel Direct for a reasonable price. You just have to decide if you can use standard pistons or if you need O/S. 7.3s are officially supposed to be sleeved reather than bored, but many folks have done bore jobs and gotten good life out of the engine, but you really need to watch the SCAs in a 7.3, especially a bored one.

hypermax22

sled puller
Reaction score
well i was thinking about just reringing it. every thing else looks ok i got the engine out and on the stand. the mains look good and so does the rods. but i was just want to know if it would be better off to rebuilt from the ground up? i priced a reman motor for it yesterday and they wanted $3,500. that was from international it self.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of money. If its within limits just hone it and throw a set of rings at it. Why not put some bearings in there anyway? The fact that you have it out and accessible.... unless its a money issue for your friend.

hypermax22

sled puller
Reaction score
i called him this morning and he told me just to go and put new bearings and new rings and give it a valve job to. you said that the 7.3 have sleaves? is there any way just buy chance that the cylinders are egg shaped can i get it trued up buy taking it to a machine shop with out hurting it.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
No sleeves.But they require sleeving not boring.Never just bore them oversize or your gonna be doing a rebuild again in a year or so to sleeve it then.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Several folks would dispute the idea that you have to sleeve out a 7.3 block instead of bore it over. Jonathan is right that that is the safe and correct way to do it. You're rolling the dice if you bore, but what you speak of is a cheap overhaul, sleeving a 7.3 means dry sleeves and that means about 500-800 bucks in materials and labor at a shop that will do a good job. You may just have to hone and throw new rings at the motor and not bore or sleeve.

Reaction score
Most likely turbo is on the way out. Be extra careful driving because it can get much worse and use all you oil in a very short time and wreck your engine.

hypermax22

sled puller
Reaction score
i got the new rings in today and the bottom end rebuilt. going to set the heads on tomarrow and get the engine set back down in the truck to. aww buy the way i didn't have to worrie the cylinders wern't egg shapped so i honed it out put the new rings in. thanks guys i tell you if it works or not tomarrow evening

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight