7.3 IDI more issues

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck is going in for the engine swap out this weekend, hopefully they know what they are doing. One is V belt and one is serpentine, one has an external voltage regulator and one has it in the alternator.
They will need to use the existing accessories on the new engine so it works with the current wiring harness.

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so tell them to switch everything with a pulley? I am also having him put a complete return line kit on with the new copper washers for the injectors. I can't wait to get it back, I miss driving it. This really cut into having the front springs/bushings repaired

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Ok, so tell them to switch everything with a pulley?
Including the water pump and the crank pulleys. Since one set is V belt and the other set is serpentine belt, if that much isn't obvious to whoever's doing the swap, GET YOUR TRUCK OUT OF THERE AS FAST AS YOU CAN! Everything will swap over just fine. The mounting holes for the brackets to attach to the block are all the same.

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Including the water pump and the crank pulleys. Since one set is V belt and the other set is serpentine belt, if that much isn't obvious to whoever's doing the swap, GET YOUR TRUCK OUT OF THERE AS FAST AS YOU CAN! Everything will swap over just fine. The mounting holes for the brackets to attach to the block are all the same.

I would suggest a new Motorcraft water pump while it's really accessible.

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, he is going to move over all accessories and pulleys, replace the valve cover gaskets, and check the water pump, but I believe it was replaced before I got the truck. He said the job should take him about 2 weeks

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I would leave the serpentine system and 3G alternator on. Both are upgrades, and the wiring change is relatively simple. You also get to remove the external voltage regulator.

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would leave the serpentine system and 3G alternator on. Both are upgrades, and the wiring change is relatively simple. You also get to remove the external voltage regulator.

I thought about it but the alternator and power steering pump on that truck are bad anyways, so I'm just trying to save since money and get my truck back

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I thought about it but the alternator and power steering pump on that truck are bad anyways, so I'm just trying to save since money and get my truck back
Don't get rid of that stuff. You may decide to change it over in the future. I believe that your power steering pump is the same as the one with the serpentine set up. You just have to change the pulleys.

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you separate the pulley from the balancer? All bolts are out, the big washer is out and the pulley wont budge and a puller is just pulling on the whole balancer not the pulley. Should I just move over the whole balancer?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I stick a pry bar behind the pulley and gently pry it off. You'll need to pry from one side and then the other. I go easy so I don't damage the pulley.

SumKindaRanch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, dead blow and a pry bar did the trick, now just fan clutch and water pump pulley. Next question, while I have the motor out I figured I would do my valve cover gaskets, return lines, and install my set of barely used reconditioned injectors. When I took out the old injectors the holes the injectors were in on the back 2 of the drivers side and the one in the back of the passenger side were dry and had a lot of carbon buildup everywhere, and all of the rest had oil/diesel. I run 70/30 WMO so the oily diesel could be from that but should they be wet or bone dry?

YJMike92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dry. The tips should be sealed with copper washers so no combustion comes up from the cylinders. The top should be sealed by the taper at the bottom of the threads.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online