7.3 IDI mono block air compressor...can it be done??

quinnbrian

Reaction score
Like the title says...can it be done, or has someone already done it. I have a 351, with the air compressor head on it, but the motor is old and seized!I could get another 351 block and rebuild it. But I have a good 7.3 IDI, that I'd love to make into a mono block (one side run on diesel and the other side pumps air).
So could it be done...is the timing do..able.
I would love to be able to uses it for sandblasting and running an air drill/ rock breaker..etc.
Any help, would be great!!
Cheers
Brian

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
NO FOR GODS SAKE! Use a gas engine and put the 7.3 to better use. Why would you want to deal with a heavy motor like that for that application?

quinnbrian

Reaction score
It would last forever..be great on fuel, and it would be made on a trailer, so weight isn't a problem. The gas models are very ******* fuel.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In those conversions what do they do with the exhaust valves on the compressor side? The stock valve springs won't hold them shut against 125psi or so will it? Do they retro-fit some sort of reed valve in there?

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Wouldn't you just need a cam and injection pump that would run the remaining 4 cylinders as a 4 cylinder engine? Maybe even crankshaft to get ignition events timed correctly.

Thinking about this it seems like a lot of work ($$) with no existing kit/engineering done already

I would think a 4 cylinder diesel with a mounted compressor would be a lot easier

A company:
http://www.dunnrightinc.com/index.html
"the camshaft is the heart..."

BUT, I have heard of straight 8 diesel engines in trucks in Australia using 2 of the cylinders as air compressors and the other 6 as the engine. This makes more sense to me as it is already in the truck, accessory air pumps are one more thing to maintain, and thy were probably designed that way.

You're completely rewriting IDI engine engineering, trying to change 4 cylinders to non-ignition air pumps.

Last edited: