7.3 IDI into 1978 4x2 let the fun begin!

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, Ok I going to stuff a 7.3 E4OD into a 1978 4x2 looking for a little info on how this project is going to go down, I have been prowling the site for a few days now and see a few people have done it, They just dont have the pix I need to see...How is the steering linkage clearance? I dont have my organ donor motor out yet (1991 7.3 E4OD)...Is there enough room from the oil pump to put a notch in the pan for clearance?

My baby
You must be registered for see images attach

My organ donor

Cant take 8mpg anymore!:eek:

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Are you going to transfer the springs too? The IDI weighs in at 1100 lbs dressed. Your 429 is only about 600. That difference is going to make life tough on the f150 bits.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea after its set up to see what the droop factor is, F 250 springs should bring her back to stock height I'm going to do the backs too F-150's just too soft...Like riding in a caddy.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Can't help ya on the 2wd front end stuff. I know the starter was super, super close to the frame when I did my friend's '79 F150 4x4. Doing it over again, I'd notch the frame and re-enforce it for better clearance. Steering wasn't an issue for me, I used the entire '86 column for mine and other than having to make mounts for it, it went right in. The problem I ran into was making the shifter work with the driver's side exhaust manifold. I had to cut the shifter tab on the column off, turn it around so it faced the firewall, and weld it back on. Then, it was on to getting interesting with the routing of the shifter linkages. Mixed-and-matched between the two different trucks to make everything work right.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats why I bought an organ donor...I can mix and match...Makes making frame mounts and wiring a hole heck of alot easier.

I saw the one on here with the factory air box and power brakes looks like it fits nicely in the hole.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Thats why I bought an organ donor...I can mix and match...Makes making frame mounts and wiring a hole heck of alot easier.

I saw the one on here with the factory air box and power brakes looks like it fits nicely in the hole.

My avatar is the 6.9 I did, sitting in the '79 engine bay. It fit quite nicely... I put it on my engine hoist, had the whole front clip off the '79, and fiddled with it until I liked the way it sat. Then I measured it all out, made my mounts, and bolted it right in.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Nope. No body work at all required for my swap. He had a 3" body lift, which helped out immensely. I think the "suggested" lift is a 1-2 inch, so you clear the power brake booster. Not sure if you need one at all for the floor pans.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Under the 91 theres tons of room above the tranny, Maybe the very front may be tight...But your right the body lift maybe for power booster, I want to avoid a body lift if possible want to keep her low, I already have one thats a monster truck...

It will be up for the IDI trans plant next

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Nice looking trucks. You should do a full on write up of everything you've done. I didn't do one because I did the swap before I really got into the online stuff for these engines.

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have already done this swap and it is very easy!

Key points

Watch the clearance of the drivers exhaust manifold to the top of the steering box

You need to use a high torque reduction starter as it is far smaller then the standard unit

Use an aftermarket trans controller as you won't have a way of running the VSS off your 9''

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use an aftermarket trans controller as you won't have a way of running the VSS off your 9''

My VSS is located on the cable driven speedo, Good thing I didnt want to spend the extra 800.00 bucks... That was by luck of the draw didnt even think about the trans until I already had the donor truck.