7.3 idi fuel filters

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just gotten started running WMO in my 89 7.3 idi and was wondering if there is a cheaper option on fuel filters? It currently has the napa 3417 which is the one piece spin - on with drain. Is there one that will work that don't include the drain. I am making W85 by heating and centrifuging, then blending and settling, then centrifuging the blend, so I'm not concerned that I will get any water to drain anyway.

Just looking for a cheaper option, figure I need to carry a spare in case it plugs on me on the road.

Thanks

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i would like to do this my self, i was checking these out, i think the price shot up on them though lately
http://www.wvodesigns.com/products/wvo-conversion/heaters/heated-filter-base.html/

others have used the goldenrod that are available at tractor supply, you have to fab up a mount and the clear bowl is a mixed blessing. you can see whats going on but it is prone to cracking if its hit mounted low on the truck.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_910810_910810

the stock filters are getting pricey

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick with the one piece design. I couldn't get the o-ring at the water separator to stop leaking.

I added a Wix filterhead with a a longer filter. It should double the filter surface area. I always suspected the stock filter was the chock point of the fuel system. It's not finished yet as I'm waiting on my Turbowerks pump to get here Monday. I'll also add a heat exchanger to heat my oil using the engine coolant.

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
others have used the goldenrod that are available at tractor supply, you have to fab up a mount and the clear bowl is a mixed blessing. you can see whats going on but it is prone to cracking if its hit mounted low on the truck.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_910810_910810

the stock filters are getting pricey

Subway I guess the heated filter might be needed in the winter? I don't seem to have any problems right now running my w85, but the temp today was 104.

On those filters types like the goldenrod, etc., how does the return line from the injectors hook back up?

Blinddriver - I know what your saying about the one piece vs the 2 piece type, but the take off on that is rockauto has the PENTIUS Part # PFB54692 water separator type for $7.60......Sure is tempting, as my parts engine has the 2 pc style on it.

Hey I noticed that your using a Raw Power fuge. I bought the Raw Power poboy bowl kit from them and poorboy built mine. I have run about 100 gallons through it and its working great so far.

Thanks for the replies and ideas.

basilbowman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
filter1.com Sells the WIX, which is the best for running SVO at least, not sure if WOM is any different. the 3417 costs $20, but with code MOPARTS it's 20% off, plus any order over $50 has free shipping.

-N

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks basilbowman for the link and the discount code. I just ordered 2 for $43.16 total including shipping. ;Sweet

gearhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP what is your filtering setup before it gets to the truck?The reason I am asking is because I haven't had to replace fuel filters for anything other than regular maintenance.So I am wondering if your not filtering enough so your going through fuel filters fast.

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP what is your filtering setup before it gets to the truck?The reason I am asking is because I haven't had to replace fuel filters for anything other than regular maintenance.So I am wondering if your not filtering enough so your going through fuel filters fast.

I am heating and centrifuging with a motor driven unit, then blending 15% rug and settling in a bell bottom tank for 3 - 4 days, then centrifuging the blend again, then filtering through a large 1 micron nominal bag filter. Im not having any problems, havent replaced a filter yet. Just wanting to have a couple of filters on hand when the time comes, or if it plugs. I have read that when you first start running WMO, that it can wash a bunch of crud out of the tanks and plug filters. Just being prepared. Thanks