7.3 idi fan clutch nut size

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wanted to post this thread to hopefully link into google searches. All the search result shows list the size as 1-7/8, that's too big and rounds the but off. It is 48mm. Oreillys has a tool rental with a 48mm wrench that is perfect

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I took my fan off of my IDI, but I know I used an 1 7/8 crows foot because I don't have any metric ones that large. Unless my mental math is off, 1 7/8" is actually smaller than 48mm. Maybe you got an 1 7/8" that got a little "spread" when it was leaned on hard, but I think I've seen folks use both sizes. I felt like the most important part was the knowledge that this is a left handed thread.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I needed to take my fan off, I purchased the Lisle pneumatic set and the one included in that set worked just fine.

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could've been spread, but it was a 1/4 steel wrench stamped 1-7/8 and it was very loose. Thanks didn't think of it being spread

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually now that I think of it it couldn't of been spread. I had them bring out two other wrench sets and all three 1-7/8 wrenches were super loose.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
wanted to post this thread to hopefully link into google searches. All the search result shows list the size as 1-7/8, that's too big and rounds the but off. It is 48mm. Oreillys has a tool rental with a 48mm wrench that is perfect

48mm = 1.889"
1 7/8" = 1.875"

XXmm/25.4= YY"

Now, please tell me what is wrong with what you are saying in the above post. :***:

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the math. But what doesn't make sense is that three different correctly marked tools were used. I even tried the 1-7:8 wrench just because everyone said it and it rounded the nut. The 48mm was tight like a glove. But I agree it doesn't add up

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand the math. But what doesn't make sense is that three different correctly marked tools were used. I even tried the 1-7:8 wrench just because everyone said it and it rounded the nut. The 48mm was tight like a glove. But I agree it doesn't add up
Perhaps...yers is non stock clutch???

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score

It does if the 48mm wrench was incorrectly marked, perhaps that one was actually a 46mm that was stretched :dunno