7.3 Idi build

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, and the graphs I have seen, here is what I know.

The typ4 cam comes on very strong off idle, really brings the power in starting over 1600 rpm or so, then seems to drop off when closing in on 3000 rpm. I have one of these on the shelf waiting to go in.

Justin's cams are a little slower to come on. Meaning a little higher in the rpm range, and will pull strong up through 37-3800 rpm. I will never run mine that high, so I called Russ.

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my J2 cam.. It pulls hard all the way up to when my MH's Allison shifts at about 3300 and I have had her up to the governor in High gear some where around 3900 or 4000 on my tack (Lease Nevel Alternator style) so I'm not sure if its completely accurate although it was reading around 100 RPM off the timing light tack at 2000 RPM... I wish I had just a bit more fuel than my 90cc is giving me now..
But that will come on my next Build for sure.. If you check out my Build on FTE or check out the pic's on flicker .... you can read about all the little Mods I did to get my Engine to Perform Better.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the cam that Justin Wheeler sold. Justin Anderson ran it during his first build when he was running a 90cc pump and Wheeler ran it in his build as well. I honestly think Justin Anderson should sell that cam as a stage 3 cam. It is higher rpm compared to any other cam but drops dynamic compression significantly. IMO it would be a great cam for the 6.9 since they have a smaller diameter head stud. The drop in compression even compared to the other cams would help hold the gaskets a bit more.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
May sound stupid but does it lope Any and how much does one run and were could I buy it.that may be a cheeper route then shaving my Pistons

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
How can I get ahold of one lol.if it'll drop the compression enough I won't shave the Pistons or do head studs.still gonna have them ceramic coated but if I can spend like 50 bucks more on a cam and get to like 18:1 or 19:1 and push 20+ psi without studs that'll save me nearly 800 bucks on studs and having the Pistons shaved.then in the future get Mel's 205cc pump and an intercooler you talk about fun.my main. Concern is keeping the clutch togheter since im staying with the t19.in the future i plan on doin superduty axles with 3:73 gears and posi in the rear but for now im just worried about the motor this not being able to use my truck to pull stuff is gettin old. It'll pull but you just can't pull a very heavy load because I've got my pump turned up which wasn't my doing it was actually my dad of all people and because it just don't have the power to do it anymore.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be honest man, with all your plans you shouldn't skimp on studs. If you want that much fuel, you'll blow the gaskets really quick, even with dropped compression. Justin Anderson mentioned he would have a hard time getting the cam from Delta. I'll see what I can do by talking to Justin Wheeler and then talk to Anderson about it a bit more of you want the cam that bad.

Additionally, another way to drop compression will be with some of the gaskets Justin is working on. It will just be a wait for development time...

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
I would like to know how it compares to the type4 and r&d's cams I would like to have this motor built by February so waiting on the gaskets to be made is a no go lol I want to drop it to 18:1.for now im just gonna be runnin a stock 7.3 pump that's maxed out that im Runnin on my 6.9 along with a new set of moose mister injectors then go to the omega moose pump after mine craps out which I hope ain't for awhile cause I gotta get my powerstroke done to but I've gotta get this truck goin good mines so damn worn out and gets alittle warm when driving has a new water pump a good radiator that I just put in because you couldn't even push water through the fins on the outside of the radiator with a water hose and a new tstat.i think I might have a slightly blow headgasket because I got it hot as hell one night so this 6.9 has gotta come out.tired of using a gallon of oil a week.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Diesel's wont lope with a cam, thats only a gasser thing.

It would be cool if they did, but by the nature of the beast they dont

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Hey I wasn't sure lol never hurts to ask.i want power I want to actually use my truck for what it's meant to be used for lol.but I also want it to sound mean at idle lol

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No amount of dropped compression will compensate for clamping force required to hold gaskets.

Ztuds are a must for what you want.

Why do you think that remanned engine in shop is NOT IN MY TRUCK cause it wont go in untill done as I want it done...doing it quick and cheap ...Not likelycookoo

Never time or money to do it right....but always time and less money to do it over.....wont work for me however maybe it works ok for you???

Do the internal stuff and stud it you can add IP or fancy injectors and turbo later...the core is a solid long block to which u can add bolt on parts as afforded...heck even roller rockers are easy add on....later right?

JM7.3CW

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726