7.3 idi air intrusion — the saga continues

foundonroaddead

Reaction score
I made a post back in January inquiring about issues with my truck not running for more than a mile without killing out. Since then, I was under the assumption that I had all the kinks worked out of it. for about 1 1/2 months now the truck has ran flawlessly, no dying, no loss of power, the only other issue until now has been an old and faulty alternator.

Anyways, the past three days the truck has been giving me so much grief. i’m in nashville and over this past week we had temps that went from 75 down to 32 in one night. the day after this cold snap i was running low on my front tank so i decided to switch to my rear tank. the rest of the day i noticed a gradual decline in power. going up a hill it would leave a haze of white smoke and would not go more than 15 mph up a hill that before it would pull up with zero issue.

i have a clear fuel hose coming up to my filter head from the metal fuel line under the engine itself and it looks like someone’s boiling water in it. bubbles constantly. if i hold the schraeder valve on the filter head air comes out for nearly 30 seconds and then finally lets a spurt of fuel out then the engine dies. it starts right back up once i let my electric pump run 5 seconds before cranking again (Holley Red).

from what i understand a pump can only get air into a fuel system by sucking it in and so only things behind the pump would be the suspects here. i have the holley mounted on the frame rail about 2 feet from the fuel selector valve and i have a chinsy little fuel water separator in between the two.

so my theory is that since this truck sat 12 years and had this warm weather and a sudden drop that it may have cracked the selector valve and is causing air to be sucked in like it’s got a gaping hole
in it or could it be the pairs of o-rings inside each of the fuel line connections? i dropped both tanks and cleaned them out and the sending units as best as possible with new big orings where they mount so i do not think it’s anything to do with them.

just would like some options to try, thanks!

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How were the shower heads when you had the tanks open?

Do you have this issue when both tanks are full?

Perhaps the FSV was pulling from both tanks and sucking air on the one that was nearly empty. This could be made worse with bad shower heads, and going up a hill. I’ve got new shower heads, and anything below 1/4 tank can be problematic on certain hills around here.

BTW I work in Nashville. If you see a red ext cab dually with some faded 90’s graphics it’s probably me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online