7.3 Cold Starting

Philip1

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont have manual glowplugs but my automatic controller stays on 10-15 seconds when it gets cold

Eli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 'cold start' method:
1. Turn key to 'ON' position.
2. When 'WAIT TO START' light goes out, turn key to 'OFF' position.
3. Wait 30 seconds.
4. Turn key to 'ON' position.
5. When 'WAIT TO START' light goes out, push the throttle pedal to the floor, let of slightly, and turn key to 'START'
6. Let off the throttle pedal when it starts.

I did this to the bus yesterday, with frost on the ground - fired right up!

Eli

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Full manual here. My guidelines are

In warm weather but truck is cold (off for more than a few hours) I give it 8 seconds. Or, at least I count to 8. I don't have a calibrated counter in my head, but it always starts.

Also, For what it's worth, even in 90 degrees, it takes the 8 seconds. Heat to us humans is a completely different scale than heat to the truck. So, 8 seconds above about 32.

Also also, random thought. Trucks don't feel wind-chill, so these aren't the "adjusted numbers" but straight temps.

Below that, I do 12-15 seconds. 20deg down to 0 is the higher side, like 15-18 seconds.

Depending on fuel bleed back and temperature, sometimes I'll have to crank for 4 or 5 seconds and let off. Hit the plugs with another 8 seconds and he'll fire.

Also also also, full throttle down when cranking below 32, half throttle down above. Let off once it fires up.

Disclaimer - been doing this for a handful of years and haven't lost a plug, but not sure if this is too long and killing plugs prematurely. If it is, I'll come back and let everyone know in 10 years.

CADHOWDY

Reaction score
Simple question but how long do you folks figure a set of glow plugs should last? Or have lasted?

nitroguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Simple question but how long do you folks figure a set of glow plugs should last? Or have lasted?

Hard to know. I think they range so significantly that there's not a consensus.

The bad ones (Autolite) are all over the map, and catastrophic when they die.

The good ones (motorcraft/Beru) seem to have longer life if manual since they don't cycle on once the engine is running. They also don't turn on when the engine is warm and you can just fire up with no plugs.

All that to say, I think I've heard of them lasting up to like 10 years, or something crazy like that. I figure every 3-5 years is pretty good for plugs? Of course, depending on climate and how heavily they're used.

Anyone else got an opinion?