7.3 blowing more black smoke than my stroke!!!

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok im workin on a 93 non turbo 7.3.it just had new IP and injectors done on it by a place thats supposed to be the "best" diesel shop around(they are complete idiots).but this thing is blowing black smoke at idle :eek: .romp on the throttle and it will turn the parking lot from day to night.it has 230,000 miles on the engine.it runs absofreekinlutely beautiful other than the smoke.fires right up on a cold morning with maybe half a crank.where should i be looking?as usual i get the job of fixing somebody elses mess.

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
Sounds like the fuel is just cranked up... maybe they built it for performance thinking it would be turbo'd?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Did this smoke before the pump and injectors were replaced??? Its really easy to turn down the fuel but you need to follow the easy dirrections or things can really get messed up by dirt getting into the pump after the filter. Did this great shop time the motor???

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
all filters are new as well.i dont know the reason for the pump and injector replacement.i have both fuel screws on my turboed idi maxed out and it dont smoke like this truck.its just a tow truck so there was no reason for turning things up for performance.and im not gonna break the seal and void the warranty on the IP to turn it down.

i do know that as a "favor"they only charged the tow company 1500.00 for the job.i just did the same job on thier plow truck for 1100.00.and when i got done there was no smoke.:D

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I would have them return the truck to the other shop and let them have a chance to correct the situation or at least look at it.

It does sound to me like she's turned up, a turned up pump on a non turbo truck that is advanced on the timing will put out a pretty decent amount of smoke. But again I would mention something to other shop before proceeding any further. This way they can say "we'll take care of it" or "let the other guy handle it and we will still stand behind the warranty" or "let the other guy do it and there is no more warranty".... truely they can only say three things...

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even turned all the way up, it shouldn't be blowing black at idle. How did they go about timing it?

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
my pump was maxed with my 37's on it and it wouldn't on idle but if you wern't paying attention up a hill you'd blackout the road....oops.... :rotflmao

crap i wish my 250 would burnout like that!! :puke:

i like your icon '94. those chevy guys musta been in the sped class for a reason, they couldn't figure out the test instructions!! :rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmaocookoo

-Jon

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
We turned up the fuel on my friends 92 idi 72 passenger bus. I think putting the screw all the way in was a mistake! the whole back of the bus turns black in about 1000 miles after cleaning;Sweet I suspect the only reason it hasnt melted down is because of the massive cooling system somewhat helps to combat the nuclear melt down egt it produces:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is the timing is too far advanced. The fuel screw has nothing to do with black smoke when not under load. If it is too advanced, it is creating it's own load. ;Really Does this thing rattle like a detroit?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the timing marks on the housing and IP are lined up straight.definately dont sound like a detroit.it rattles but not as bad as my idi does

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if somebody made the gear jump timing by accident. Either that or maybe the rebuilt pump is bad out of the box.