6v53 trany hookup

75GMC

Reaction score
I've got a 6v53 series motor to replace on a 75 GMC cabover.
the 5 speed trany bell housing is to large for new motor.
what can I do?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there an adapter plate on the current engine? Is the one in the truck you are replacing, a 6v53 also, or is it a different engine entirely?

75GMC

Reaction score
I believe the two motors are the same Detroit 6V53. Just defferent years and aplications
Coming out of 1975 GMC 7500 COE.
The new one is same block and looks. But was made for marine use.
the only thing different is the rear bell housing.
My new motor has a smaller housing, wont fit current 5 speed trany.
I see allison, fuller, spicer and others, But lost on what will actuly fit?

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Detroit’s like almost all industrial, marine, medium duty, and heavy duty engines use SAE pattern bell housing sizes. A quick google search of “SAE bell housing dimensions” should help you sort out what you have.

Like I touched on in your other post, the two stroke Detroit diesels were available in multiple SAE bell housing sizes. The engines were modular in design. The flywheel housing was a separate part from the rest of the block, and I believe it was also interchangeable with the 8v53. Unless the old motor is already gone, swapping that flywheel housing is probably going to be the path of least resistance. The reason they likely went with a smaller bell housing size on the marine engine is there was no clutch, just a drive flange to mate up to the marine transmission.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86