65hp

445TDF-series

Reaction score
Got my emissions done and the shop dynoed the truck but only gave me horsepower read outs.... 65 max hp. Sounds a bit low for an ATS turbo'd truck doesn't it? Truck smokes light light grey if accelerating hard. Had the pump turned up but kept failing emissions.... Any way to get my #'s up a bit???

Chuckdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow I cant help out but I thought stock the motor should be about 16-180 hp? maybe at the wheels its less but seems real low.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory numbers were 175HP for a 6.9 and 185 for a 7.3. High altitude models were derated about -20HP. All these numbers were at the flywheel not at the wheels though, but I think I have heard of more like -30% loss on these trucks not that huge of a dropoff. Typically we have read about NA engines being dynoed anywhere from 125-160HP and turbo engines at 150-200+HP here and over at TDS. Another question what was the RPM where this reading was figured? The 6.9 and 7.3 both maxxed out on HP at around 3300RPM and max torque happened at around 1700 for a 6.9 and 1400 for a 7.3 if I recall. 65 might not be a bad numer at cruising RPM.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had the pump turned up but kept failing emissions.... Any way to get my #'s up a bit???

Welcome to the site. I think for your emissions test, you can either figure a way to block the travel of the accelerator with the pump turned up, or just turn it down when you go for inspections. :angel: RWH on these trucks is not that low. However, somewhere around 100 is probably average. Remember, horsepower is a made up number that doesn't really represent pulling power very well.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Emissions testing wouldn't have necessitated a full blown dyno test. My guess is they only did what was required for the test, and never built up any boost, or got the engine near it's HP or TQ peaks.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Dyno'd emissions tests on gas powered vehicles here in Georgia are done at 25 MPH with a 25% load on the powertrain, and a 15 MPH test with a 50% load. We do not test diesels or vehicles with a GVW in excess of 8500# here--at least so far. We read unburned hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and oxides of nitrogen against standards for the engine/transmission/gvw combination.

My guess also is that your HP readout was only in conjunction with what was required to run the test--which would be much less than peak.

Our dynos could put out a HP reading--that being a calculated amount of power at the rear wheels required to turn the dyno rollers against the pre-determined resistance, but it is not part of the protocol here.

445TDF-series

Reaction score
I was standing in the waiting room and could hear them emissions testing the truck. Sounded like they wound it out to redline in each gear until fourth. Made the whole building shake :rotflmao don't konw if thats good. Yeah, with it adjusted as it is now, the opacity is shockingly low and the truck is rediculously slow. 0-60 takes 30+ seconds on flat ground and the smallest hill...well i've had to plan my commute to try and avoid hills, which living in the foothills isn't that easy. I would love to turn it up but the truck attracts too much 'bad' attn when it smokes, especially at night because any light makes the somke look much worse. Had someone actually confront me and threaten me because of the smoke... Said they would 'report' me... whatever that means...

SKimballC

Reaction score
You have something very wrong if it takes a turboed truck 30 seconds to hit 60 mph. Please take a few seconds and fill out your signature so we know the specifics of you and your truck- year, transmission, mileage, mods, location, etc. It sounds to me like you got some fuel system maintenance past due, or at the very least it needs to be timed.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll say... my N/A will hit 60 from a dead stop in 15-20 seconds or sooner with 3.55 gears. I'd guess your fuel system is in bad shape, or your timing is off, or you have some leaks, intake or exhaust on your turbo. Something sure isn't right.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd vote for the timing being retarded, I just finally took the time to read this and he mentions Light grey haze when Accelerating. May be injector problem too but I'd start with getting the timing checked first.

gabbyr100rs

Reaction score
Either the inspection protocols where you live are waaaaaay different, or the inspectors were knuckleheads......

I agree that having the timing and fuel/air induction looked at would be a good start.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online