6.ohNO Mistake

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have posted bunch in the IDI forums since I also own a '91 F350 4x4 with a 7.3l IDI and E4OD Tranny. Switched professions and needed a truck with a few less hiccups and better fuel mileage. I just purchased a used 2004 F350 with the 6.0l Powerstroke and the Auto tranny. Drove it sorta hard during the test drive with the AC on full blast and didn't have any issues, but only drove it around for about 10 minutes. As soon as I filled it up (Bye Bye $100) I got on the freeway and within 10 minutes it was getting hot. Started watching closely and within another 5 minutes, check gauges light came on so I threw the heater on full blast trying to cool it off. Funny thing was, temp started to very slowly drop, and within about another 5 minutes, warning light went off, but it was still a little warmer than I'm happy with, but the Air didn't get hot for about 15 minutes. Took it down to my little hole in the wall mechanic and he put it under a block test, which it halfway failed. It blew the fluid out of the testing device, but he couldn't get it to change colors. The previous owner has replaced the thermostat within the last 6 months, so I'm gunna go ahead and just rule that out. Any ideas what it might be? Water Pump?! truck has 115k miles on it right now.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Common failure points on the 6.0 in the cooling system would be the Head Gaskets or the EGR cooler. The EGR makes these things run hot.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
afraid I can't help you there. Just echoing what I've heard. I've never wrenched on a 6.0. I'm just reiterating what i've read most of the time. Somebody with more experience will chime in before long.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Sewer,

Where is it running on the temp gauge, mine runs right about half gauge, or under..... I have NEVER seen mine above half gauge. That is in 100% weather, towing, A/C on. Or in hot weather idling for a few minutes with the A/C on. Just not idling too long... Where is the level in your degas bottle? Does it look to have the new TSB labeling on the degas bottle. On the early trucks, mine included, the full / add marks were too high on the bottle, and they found with the expansion, coolant would spray out of the lid on the bottle. I do not keep the coolant above the min/add mark (not sure what it says, haven't read what is says lately) and have not had any issues with coolant puking. I have also heard of the cap going bad, and causing issues..... a couple of guys heard a strange hiss/whistle under the hood at shutdown, replaced the cap and it went away. Remember, the degas bottle is under pressure in this system. What coolant does it have in it? Is the the gold colored coolant, or does it look like something else? I have read with the casting sand and the dropout from the coolant, it can plug the coolers. The coolant flow in a 6.0 is through the oil cooler, then to the EGR cooler, and on ultimately to the radiator. The particulates will collect in the oil cooler, which starves the EGR cooler of coolant, the hot exhaust will flash boil the coolant in the EGR Cooler, which melts the solder in the EGR Cooler. This causes it to leak, and the "burning" of coolant. One way you can check for a leaking EGR Cooler, is park the truck nose down, let it sit overnight and pull the EGR Valve in the morning, if there is moisture in/on/around the EGR Valve, or in the intake where it sits, you may have a leaking cooler. Hopefully this points you in the right direction to find out what is going on.....

SewperDrewper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snicklas, to be completely honest, your posts in this thread are what lead me to buying the 6.0. I understand that the motor is "problematic", but I have known just as many people personally who have had problems with both Cummins and DMaxxs. I would have preferred to buy a 7.3, but it wasn't an option since people think that a 15 year old truck is worth more than a 7 year old one with half the miles. The degas bottle is absolutely full, and that was because I filled it up. Had to add about 1/2 a gallon to get it there. As for temp, I have gotten it to read about 7/8's the full potential for it to go to the high mark. Never had it max, but that was because I would throw on the heater and it would eventually cool off. The coolant is the gold sort of color you were referring to, and as for the TSB labeling, I will have to look and let you know.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin