6.9L video - first start up.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Had the old pig for a drive, works good - especially as the injectors all come in to play one at a time.:rotflmao.....Shifts good, has some rollover noise at idle with the clutch up but it's not noticable while driving. It's since smoothed out and the smoke is almost completely gone....We found our hard start issues, one rusted off Beru GP and the old girl needs a return line o-ring and hose kit....If we clamp the fuel return line at the tank it will start ok.....It's leaking at the #1 injector on the drivers side. You can see Goofy drooling in the background.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3TKSVYCHQ

You must be registered for see images attach

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Sounds great! You do some fast work.
Cant wait to see the deck hoist come together.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds really good, button up those leaks and you have an awesome work truck. Once you get it street legal and can run it good and hard I bet that smoke will clear and those injectors will sorta start to straighten up.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
It will be street legal as soon as I get the deck back on....I have a balljoint to replace too.:rolleyes:....I got a dead match interior paint today so I painted the pillar trim and pod....I also have what I need to finish the exhaust off.;Sweet.....I'm working ******* this so I can get my 63 Mercury put back together for spring.:sly

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
my engine smoked kinda similar but i think mine was worse, going down the road you would loose the road behind you when you floared it, so i put new injectors in and a return line kit, it still didnt help, so i just drove it down the mountain and came back up and i just burried my foot in the floar and the smoke got lesser and blacker towards the top, and the more i have drove it the better it runs,
Setting is real bad on engines some days mine dont run as good as others, i guess it part of were it set so long

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
It was halarious. When I was in the garage and we first started it, I litterally had a hard time seeing out of my watery eyes and I couldn't breathe. Then, when BigRig was going down the road I couldn't see the back of the truck from the driveway for the smoke. It got better as it ran and warmed up, but even after it warmed up it still smoked if it was shut down then restarted.....it's GOTTA be air lol...hopefully.

The thing runs smooth as can be though. I had it for a little trip down the road myself...no hood or bed lol. People thought we were tapped lol.

Next major swap....D60 in an F250 lol

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine smokes like that, Im figuring that its the IP becuase I put new injectors in it last summer.

It seems to clear up as the IP is advanced, but never really goes fully away. Im hoping that the rebuilt pump from Mel will solve the problem, if not I plan to do a compression check and have the valve seals replaced.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
It was halarious. When I was in the garage and we first started it, I litterally had a hard time seeing out of my watery eyes and I couldn't breathe. Then, when BigRig was going down the road I couldn't see the back of the truck from the driveway for the smoke. It got better as it ran and warmed up, but even after it warmed up it still smoked if it was shut down then restarted.....it's GOTTA be air lol...hopefully.

The thing runs smooth as can be though. I had it for a little trip down the road myself...no hood or bed lol. People thought we were tapped lol.

Next major swap....D60 in an F250 lol

i hope it is air, but it sounds like what my engine done, just dont get dicoureged after it is drove alot it will clear up finally

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Yeah, it cleared up 90% after we drove it a little down the street, a good run with 4 or 5 ton in the bed should clean it out.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Just an update, I've been working on my gauges and GP issues, I haven't gotten to the return line o-rings yet....Lots of little things to finish and secure, doesn't really matter in what order...LOL....We measured it for the dump deck cradle this evening, should be starting that project next week.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Turns out my hard starting issue on the dually isn't fuel related - the glow plug controller(s) are no good....I manually grounded the relay tonight for about 10 seconds and it rolled over 3-4 times before it fired up....Been sitting almost a week....Easy fix with a push button in the dash to manually time the burn time for the GP's....I ain't spending $200 on a new GP controller....The fuel filter was fuel and ******* fuel from the schrader valve instantly. My Canox "Sparkler" 225A arc welder is now operational - the electrician hooked everything up tonight with a new 50A plug installed. He put some 6ga wire on the welder for a plug cord - about 15-20ft long...LOL....Now I just need to make some dough to get the dump box done:sly....Steel ain't cheap anymore.:rolleyes:

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I got a good controller here somewheres. I will dig around today and see if I can't track it down. It came off my old harness I changed out. If all else fails I have a goo controller on my spare engine too.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The old one worked ok when we had 7 working GP's but it seems now that we have 8 working GP's it goes nuts and the wts light won't come on. I have to check a couple more items like the GPC ground quality and etc but unless it's a cheap fix it's going manual....I've spent enough on this swap...LOL

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
OK, so I have my GPR hooked up manually with a switch and dash light to ten finger time them.:D....The crappy part is I ended up with 3 burnt GP's in my troubleshooting efforts last night so I had to rob 3 from my F250 tonight until I can get some more new ones next week.:rolleyes:....I also had a suspicion that my FSS was loosing power in the crank position and I was right...So I moved the FSS power to another spot that previously powered my 460 ignition system....Starts ok now.;Sweet....Next up is to tie up some wiring, finish the exhaust and road test it to see if I can get the rough running start-ups and smoke to frig off.:rotflmao....I see 2x4 mudflap hangers and c-clamps in my near future to keep smokey at bay.:sly:rotflmao....There will be more video tommorow.;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle