6.9L Injection Pump Leak... PLEASE HELP!!!

minorguy87

Reaction score
Hey, I have and old-timer neighbor with an '86 pickup that has a problem with the injection pump leaking from the weep hole by the #1 line. We have checked for restrictions in the line its self and also ran a compression check. Its seems like compression is being pushed back into the line but there is no compression difference between the #1 cylinder and the rest of the cylinders. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Weep hole on the injection line??? There is only one weep hole that's on the injection pump and that's under the pump.

minorguy87

Reaction score
Thats what I meant dude. I was in a hurry while posting it. Thanks for replying but your reply don't help me much.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I would swap in a known good injector. I think Travis reply was to point out if fuel was coming from the line, it may be leaking or have a hole. These motors are known to have fuel line issues if someone removes the separator/insulation brackets. Travis knows his stuff, I would tend to listen to what he is telling you. I am sure he is trying to get a feel for what is going on.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep you guess it... Trying to get a handle on what the actual problem is...

Now since we know that the fuel is leaking from under the injection pump then that means the seals inside the pump are shot which means that the pump is worn - you will need to get a replacement injection pump.

You can source this from either a local source (not napa or autozone) but a local diesel shop like for example we have quite a few around here that rebuild pumps in house. But if you choose sometimes you can get a better price by going out on the net but your downtime will be increased because of shipping time.

Check out Diesel Injection Service. DIS has a pretty good rep on rebuilding pumps looks like they are a hair over 400 bucks for a replacement. That is about the going rate give or take.

Now I'll tell ya you'll catch more flies with honey than with vinegar ;Really

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Like already stated... The pump is bad. How many miles are on the pump? Anything over around 125,000 miles your are running on borrowed time. That goes for injectors too. If and when you replace it DO NOT REMOVE THE GEAR TOWER COVER...... Thats the half round cover the pump is bolted to. Just remove the small diamond shaped cover on the front of the tower. Then you will see 3 5/16inch 12 point bolts. Remove them along with the 3 9/16 nuts on the injection pump side of the cover. Most here have found its easier to remove the fuel supply line from the filter to the pump so you have a little more room to slide the pump with all the 8 injectors lines still attached to out. Make sure you have ALL the hard lines vibration dampners in place when your done on the injector lines or you will have problems with broken lines in the near future. Lots of help here for the asking. Its free.... ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin