6.9l Banks Turbo Kit and Head Gasket redo

Ryan H

Reaction score
Hello, as I've posted before I have an 85 f250 with the 6.9 idi. I'm looking into putting a turbo kit on it, and have locked in a pretty decent deal on a banks sidewinder wastegated kit. I've read multiple places that I need to do the head gaskets and replace the bolts with head studs, which I was figuring I might need to do eventually anyways. I keep searching on here and a couple other forums for write ups on replacing the gaskets, and while I keep seeing links they are all dead or non-working. Does anyone have a good link to a instruction guide on how to do the gaskets?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
My advice would be to start by pulling your engine out. It's MUCH easier to do this type of work with the engine on a stand. What part of Nebraska are you in?

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can run the banks turbo kit without studs, it was designed to not make alot of boost. i have a 2nd gen banks wastegated kit on my truck with out studs.

but if you do decide to do headgaskets and studs i have heard it is alot easier to do if you pull the engine out

Ryan H

Reaction score
My advice would be to start by pulling your engine out. It's MUCH easier to do this type of work with the engine on a stand. What part of Nebraska are you in?

Yea I have read that. I was considering doing that, although if I am going to I might wait a bit and do it as I'm still setting up my garage well enough to get the truck all the way in. Unless I can convince my uncle to help, he's got a much better set up currently. I'm down by Dorchester, about 45 minutes west of Lincoln. If I do go ahead and pull it, anything else you'd suggest doing at the same time while it's out? Not planning on building for power much beyond the kit, honestly.

you can run the banks turbo kit without studs, it was designed to not make alot of boost. i have a 2nd gen banks wastegated kit on my truck with out studs.

but if you do decide to do headgaskets and studs i have heard it is alot easier to do if you pull the engine out

I've read varying opinions on this, how many miles have you run that without having any issues? I did order the wastgated kit, but I know it says to turn the IP up as well with it. The engine I have is relatively low mileage, mostly owned by an old guy who camped a couple times a year with it. I'm not planning on doing a ton more besides the turbo kit to turn it up, it's mostly just to put it into the realm of more useable compared to my newer trucks.

miles1400

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have had the kit on my truck with a turned up pump for a bit more than 5K miles, and its been a little more than a year since we put it on. if you are buying a used kit i recommend rebuilding your turbo or finding a shop that can do it for you

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
This is true for a 7.3, but with a 6.9, it's recommended to stud the engine for over 10 PSI which the second gen Side Winder will easily do. I usually saw in the 11-12 PSI range while driving empty with a new engine that may have had slight boost leaks (I like to think not, but it's always a possibility when installing a used set up). Naturally if you turn the fuel up more than we did, then you'll probably see higher boost numbers than I did.

I'm down by Dorchester
Cool. I have a friend who lives in Tobias. I need to get his four wheeler fixed and back to him. Maybe I'll look you up when I take it back to him.

but I know it says to turn the IP up as well with it.
You always have to turn up your fuel with a turbo. If you don't you won't see much of a power gain and you'll be extremely disappointed.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You always have to turn up your fuel with a turbo. If you don't you won't see much of a power gain and you'll be extremely disappointed.

Yep. The stock turbo in 1994 added a whopping 5hp from the factory, lol! And it was even turned up a tad. But they did that because they didn't want to compete with the Powerstroke coming out the same year. Max out the pump and these will keep up with a gen 1 Powerstroke from what I've read.

Ryan H

Reaction score
This is true for a 7.3, but with a 6.9, it's recommended to stud the engine for over 10 PSI which the second gen Side Winder will easily do. I usually saw in the 11-12 PSI range while driving empty with a new engine that may have had slight boost leaks (I like to think not, but it's always a possibility when installing a used set up). Naturally if you turn the fuel up more than we did, then you'll probably see higher boost numbers than I did.

Cool. I have a friend who lives in Tobias. I need to get his four wheeler fixed and back to him. Maybe I'll look you up when I take it back to him.

Sounds good, if you're headed this way just let me know! If it happens to be a weekend I'm working in the forge I might have to trade you a knife or something for some IDI knowledge, I picked up this truck to be a long term restoration project but they're completely new to me. So if I ask stupid questions it's not meant to be ignunt haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online