6.9 + ZF5 owners please post your flywheel and clutch type

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for information from the collective. I am getting conflicting information about using a 7.3 flywheel on a 6.9 from different sources. The vendor is telling me their kit will work with any year idi 6.9 or 7.3 and the manufacturer tells me they are different and you can't interchange.
Please post your 6.9 year and any info you remember of have about your flywheel and clutch like make, model #, where you bought it, etc. And whether or not you have vibration at idle.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a brute single mass flywheel for a 7.3 and a beck and arnley clutch kit. Rock auto still has the flywheels. Beck/arnley clutch kits are long gone. Clutch disk had two concentric sets of damper springs in it like the one below. Took the 7.3 flywheel and the 6.9/t-19 flywheel to the local machine shop. Spun the 6.9 flywheel on the balancer and noted imbalance. Mounted up the 7.3 flywheel in the same position and kept spinning and drilling till the imbalance matched the 6.9 flywheel. The clutch has a lighter pedal and smoother engagement then the t-19 clutch. As far as I can tell it is as smooth as the 6.9 flywheel.

You must be registered for see images attach

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I've got the stock 7.3 dual mass on the 6.9 in my truck.
With El'Cheapo clutch disk/pressure plate from rockauto.com

Holding up fairly well, besides the constant low rpm clatter of the dmf...

chowitworkz

Reaction score
Stock 6.9 flywheel, F 450 clutch,with a custom throwout bearing from FT. WAYNE CLUTCH it seems that they have an inexpensive smf kit on ebay

pontoonrob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that a flywheel from South Bend or other. I know they make a good stout clutch, but hows the drivability of this model?

I originally bought a flywheel and clutch set from Southbend years ago. The flywheel is the same normal size. it is just redrilled to accept a 13 "power stroke clutch. I am now using a sachs clutch with no problems

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I originally bought a flywheel and clutch set from Southbend years ago. The flywheel is the same normal size. it is just redrilled to accept a 13 "power stroke clutch. I am now using a sachs clutch with no problems

Do you have a part number for this particular kit or are all the SB kits like this?

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a stock 7.3 DMF between my 6.9 and zf5 (lucky modded) with an 11" Kevlar clutch and Kevlar pilot bushing, no vibration or other problems.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Is that a flywheel from South Bend or other. I know they make a good stout clutch, but hows the drivability of this model?

For the record I have the 7.3/ZF5 combo along with a 13" SBC. Maybe its just me but I really dislike the clutch. I have no doubt it would hold anything I put behind it but for whatever reason in less than a week after the install it became very grabby/chattery and that makes it very difficult to drive at low speeds like when I'm moving a trailer around or stop and go traffic. Been driving manuals my whole life this is the only time I've had this kind of trouble with a clutch :dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GOT some part #'s for us???

I like the idea of a 13" clutch for sure!

Link is HERE.

The flywheel is not their casting. It is found with several other companies SMF kits. They do, however, mod it for the larger pressure plate to fit the 13 inch disk. The drivability is excellent with the "K" kit............. the "OK" kit, I don't know. I've not had the issues that Rot Box has had with chatter, and that's with pulling a 32 foot fifth wheel camper.

Heath

Last edited:

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I've read several different things and am confused. What's the bottom line with the 6.9 + ZF5 setup?

First, balance... Are the 6.9 and 7.3 both internally balanced? If so are the balancer and flywheel matched or do they all interchange so far as balance and can mix and match any 6.9 and 7.3 flywheel or balancer? If internal balance and both the balancer and flywheels all neutral balance?

Regardless of balance, will any 7.3 IDI flywheel bolt up to a 6.9 crank? Will any flywheel work with the ZF5 or are there other differences to consider?

Finally, I have an 86 6.9 with a C6 now and am converting to a ZF5. Can I use any year flywheel and clutch for a 7.3 IDI with ZF5 or is there a specific setup I need? I see different part number flywheels for a 87 6.9 with ZF5 and a 88 7.3 with ZF5 when looking at the Advance site. I also see a third part number for converting from dual mass and upgrading to a 12" clutch. What is the difference? Should I just get a stock replacement everything for a 87 6.9 with ZF5? Will 7.3 IDI parts work because that would be cheaper for me? Or will any better aftermarket flywheel and clutch for a 7.3+ZF5 work?

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read several different things and am confused. What's the bottom line with the 6.9 + ZF5 setup?

First, balance... Are the 6.9 and 7.3 both internally balanced? If so are the balancer and flywheel matched or do they all interchange so far as balance and can mix and match any 6.9 and 7.3 flywheel or balancer? If internal balance and both the balancer and flywheels all neutral balance?

Regardless of balance, will any 7.3 IDI flywheel bolt up to a 6.9 crank? Will any flywheel work with the ZF5 or are there other differences to consider?

Finally, I have an 86 6.9 with a C6 now and am converting to a ZF5. Can I use any year flywheel and clutch for a 7.3 IDI with ZF5 or is there a specific setup I need? I see different part number flywheels for a 87 6.9 with ZF5 and a 88 7.3 with ZF5 when looking at the Advance site. I also see a third part number for converting from dual mass and upgrading to a 12" clutch. What is the difference? Should I just get a stock replacement everything for a 87 6.9 with ZF5? Will 7.3 IDI parts work because that would be cheaper for me? Or will any better aftermarket flywheel and clutch for a 7.3+ZF5 work?

My research said Internal balance, bolt pattern is the same.
This is what I used
LuK LFW127 Flywheel
LuK 07-131 Clutch Set
Got about 10K on my setup, works great.