6.9 with ZF Transmission

crabbypaul

Reaction score
I am taking the T19 transmission out of my 86 extended cab 4X4 and replacing it with ZF. I got a LUK LFW127 flywheel and 07-131 clutch kit, in the clutch kit there is a technical bulletin that states that the factory backing plate, located between the crank bolts and the flywheel, must be reused. I don't have a plate that is on either side of my flywheel should the flywheel be bolted to the crankshaft flange with the new bolts that came with or do i need to get a plate. I am also wondering if the same floor plate can be used with the ZF that was in there with the T19. Thank You for any help or advise

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you don't have the plate you should be able to use the washers from the t19 flywheel bolts. The plate is a clamp load spreader, same thing washers do. Check the exposed length of the t19 bolts without the washers and that of the new bolts, should be the same or darn near close to it.

The tunnel cover plate, yes and no, yes it may clear the ZF but if it does it will be by about 1/8" or so. The shifter boot is different between ZF and t19 also, IIRC you could make the ZF boot work but don't quote me on it. Easiest way out would be grab an E4OD cover plate from a junkyard truck and cut holes for the shifters where you need them. But be prepared to have some carpet issues, it may not sit quite right around the t-case shifter.

Ford F834

Reaction score
I used a 87-91 style ZF floor pan and cut a hole in it for the 86 transfer case shifter. The fitment was perfect, and there were no noticeable carpet issues. The 86 floor pan would have hit the transmission and the size and shape of the shifter hole is different for the ZF. You might get the old floor pan to work with some modification but I think you will be happier with a 87-up floor pan.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a 87-91 style ZF floor pan and cut a hole in it for the 86 transfer case shifter. The fitment was perfect, and there were no noticeable carpet issues. The 86 floor pan would have hit the transmission and the size and shape of the shifter hole is different for the ZF. You might get the old floor pan to work with some modification but I think you will be happier with a 87-up floor pan.
Having done this swap, I second this. Here are a couple of picture that may give you an idea of how the T-19 floor pan will fit (or not) with the ZF.

You must be registered for see images attach

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The correct ZF5 pan is identical in dimensions to the E4OD pan, it just has a shifter hole cut out in it from the factory. Finding a ZF5 pan may not be too easy, E4OD pans should be all over the place hence why I suggested one of those instead.

One piece of advice when cutting the hole for the t-case shifter, start smaller than factory! Cycle the shifter thru the ranges, then open the hole up as needed. Now would also be a good time to rebend said shifter if you're not 100% happy with its factory configuration.

crabbypaul

Reaction score
Got the ZF transmission install just as LCAM-01XA stated I used the old washers found that my new bolts were the exact same lenght. I got a different floor pan plate from a 2 wheel drive with a manual transmission and 6 cylinder engine and then cut my own hole like the Warden. The crossmember from the T-19 would not work would of had to drill different holes in the frame to make it work , but found one at the upull yard that was formed with the transmission mount holes futher towards the rear and was abler to make that work. The flywheel cover that bolts below the transmission was hitting my new flywheel in a spot. There must be a different one for the ZF transmission. If anyone has one that they want to sell I would be interest in buying it. This is the best mod. that I have done to this Truck Thanks Every one for the help.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the flywheel covers are different between the T19 and the ZF, we found that the hard way when smoke started pouring from ours when first started the truck (ZF SMF flywheel rubbing on the 4-speed cover). Never did find a ZF cover in good shape, we've been running open bell for a long while now with no issues at all.

And yeah, forgot to warn you the transmission mount sits 1" further back on the ZF. IIRC the E4OD crossmember works with the ZF, maybe that's what you found at the yard?

May wanna update your signature btw :D

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I was able to use the T-19 cover on my 84 when I installed the ZF. Just beat it a bit and added a few metal screws. No problem since

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online