6.9 weight??

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most of the brackets and pulleys were onboard, water pump, some of the turbo bracketry, flex plate, exhaust manifolds and the Banks turbo mount that bolts to the back of the head. No alt, starter., PS or AC but most of their brackets were on. Oil and oil filter were on/in. Wiring harness was on, injectors and pump.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On more tidbit. Te initial press release for the 6.9L by IH in 1982 list 780 lbs. as the weight of a dry engine without flywheel housing, flywheel, alternator starter or fuel filters.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have several old engine swap books that say 675-685 for a BBC. They don't specify much in the way of configuration.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I suppose if I moved my batteries mid frame, and winch to the rear, the front weight would be similar?

Next thought is cooling, I have a good 4 row with this 454, and NEVER have any heating issues at all, I wonder how well it would cool the idi?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm about to do this swap as well. I was originally thinking cummins but I am going with a 7.3 turbo and zf5 instead. Ifbyou do the swap please take pictures ! :)

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to find an adapter to mate my 4l80e to it but it looks like they only have them for gassers. What trans are you going with ?

Black dawg

Reaction score
I plan on mating the idi bell to the sm465 trans. If i go the ih idi route. I keep coming back to wanting to do a 4 banger cummins, but they tend to be expensive around here, and I am pretty sure I have everything to put the idi in.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I keep coming up with 680 for the 454. Did you weigh one?

No, I was quoting from memory. I knew it was over 600, but did not remember how close to 700. That sounds about right. They are a pretty compact package for all the noise and power they can make. My weight on the IDI was with all of the accessories installed. Also from memory. Slightly less faulty than the BBC, I hope.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I've been trying to find an adapter to mate my 4l80e to it but it looks like they only have them for gassers. What trans are you going with ?

Have you looked at the "ultra bell", I always wonderd if the big block ford bell could be modded to work with the idi?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I did ,I was thinking the same thing. My burb had a 6.2 which uses virtually the same tps as the 7.3 so I was thinking I might not need a stand alone controller.

A 4bt would be neat , but I personally couldn't justify the effort for a 4bt. I would have to go with a 6bt. They do make adapters for a 4bt/6bt to my 4l80e but that's another $1,000 , probably not worth it.

Both a 6bt and especially a 6.9/7.3 would probably need custom springs, which isn't a big deal , just more money.

Last edited: