6.9 turbo diesel help!

Hardy41

Reaction score
How's it going guys. I am new to the form but, I know all you guys can help. I have a chance to buy a 85 6.9 turbo diesel C6 and transfer case cheap!! $500. The only thing is that the motor has been sitting around for around 3 years. I plan on putting the motor in my 86 F-250 and replacing my tired 6.9 that is leaking oil like crazy. I think from the valley pan. My question is what should I do to the new motor before I install it in my truck? Also, what things should look out for in the new motor. Thanks you guys. And another thing, the turbo is a banks sidewinder kit.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How's it going guys. I am new to the form but, I know all you guys can help. I have a chance to buy a 85 6.9 turbo diesel C6 and transfer case cheap!! $500. The only thing is that the motor has been sitting around for around 3 years.

First welcome to Oil Burners, best site for these ole trucks bar none. Take some time to look around in the FAQ and Tech section, and before buying any parts please look in the HALL OF SHAME, this should help alleviate any questionable purchase deals from retailers.

Your description is a little vague in you don't provide details on why the engine was pulled, how many miles where on it and how has it been stored for this time?

I'd be very very cautious about a purchase of a stored engine.
1st BAR it over at least 4 complete revolutions by hand to make sure there is no binding in any of the 4 cycles of the engine! If it does not bar over well...it's core material at best.

I plan on putting the motor in my 86 F-250 and replacing my tired 6.9 that is leaking oil like crazy. I think from the valley pan.
Sounds like you've got some experience with these trucks, good then we can easily help you along. Have you cleaned the engine off at a steam/pressure cleaner by chance to help determine where leak is and also to make sure it's nicer to work on?

My question is what should I do to the new motor before I install it in my truck? Also, what things should look out for in the new motor. Thanks you guys. And another thing, the turbo is a banks sidewinder kit.

As I mentioned first, bar that engine over by hand. Having no particulars, I'd be considering some seals/gaskets quite dry by this time. If it bars over with no issues, then we can make more edumacated suggestions. Let's NOT put the cart before that horse!

I won't get into what to do or what can be going on till I know more about the facts at hand.

Again welcome to OB and keep digging on more info for us.

Please take a minute and go to top right of screen, click on settings, then on left side to edit signature and fill in some details on your truck so we know whatcha got.

Welcome

Al

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your budget? Any idea on the condition / history of the motor? Did you see it run?

Personally unless you're sure it's in good shape I'd do a head job while it's out. I'd also replace the front & rear seals and possibly oil pan gasket. For sure do the oil cooler. When you have the heads off you can check the bores and pistons, and when you have the pan off you can check out the bearings and bottom end. Then you know you've got a good solid engine to put in and you've fixed most of the potential problems already.

May not need to go to that level of work, but it's pretty easy to do all that with the motor out. Much much harder with it in the truck. Plus you've got time to do it since the truck is still working. Once you install the motor than the truck is down while you fix anything that winds up breaking/degraged.

Hardy41

Reaction score
Thanks al for the info. The guy told me that the engine was pulled because the truck was junked because of rot. I was also told that the mileage was around 150k. I do not know much more about the motor then that. I plan on taking a ride Sunday to take a look at the motor. Worse case if the motor is junk I could use the turbo setup on my running 6.9. I am sorry I don't have anymore info but thanks for the advice.

Hardy41

Reaction score
Yes definitely. I did plan on replacing the front the rear seals and oil pan. I guess it would be best to replace the head gaskets and get a valve job done. Wasn't planning on doing a head job but, it would be a lot easier to do with the motor out.

chevytaHOE5674

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull the heads and go through them, new head gaskets and a set of head studs would be what I would do. Quick and painless job do do those things with the motor on a stand, pretty tough to do it in the truck.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.. All the above suggestions are spot on excapt one... Do not use an oil pan gasket. ford and international never used one so why should we try and change that. some feel there should be a gasket.. So be it... All the factory used was rtv. I use permatex ultra copper plus. It has never leaked a drop in many years of useing it. Sruds are a great idea and they are cheap for the use they provide.. Plenty of help here free for the asking. No dealership will treat you as well as we will...:sly And we don't make any money off you for helping..

Hardy41

Reaction score
Thanks for the very very good advice. I am going to check out the motor sunday and hopefully it is everything that the guy said it is. Thanks again. :)