6.9 that's hard to start when hot??

Dillonn

Reaction score
Ok I know this is most likely a repeated question but I haven't been able to find an answer so I thought I would just ask...
This truck starts and runs great when it's cold but after it's warmed up and turned off it won't start or it's really hard to start. If it cools off it starts.
IP :dunno:confused:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes its the injection pump clearances have opened up so much the pump can't make enough cranking pressure to pop open the injectors. The cheap easy temp fit is to ad oil to the fuel. That will thicken up the fuel and help in hot starting. Sorry but its time to get another injection pump. On the west coast the best place to get a good one is Russ aka typ4 on this forum. On the east side of the country its Mel aka agnem on this forum. He owns the injection pump rebuild shop called Conestoga Diesel in Pa. He is world famous for the Moose pump products. Look over his web site for more info. Also read the Hall of Shame forum to know the ebay sellers to stay away from. They earned a spot on that forum for the horrible service they gave some really nice members here. So they wrote about them. You will need to time the truck when you install a pump or injectors. The timing marks on the housing and the pump mean nothing about timing these engines..

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
No hot start... water on IP... shrinks the aluminum housing enough for the steel rotor to make a seal. They all naturally flex a little but when its old it counts.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Like he ^ said. A good way to verify this condition is to get the engine to operating temperature and park it. Get a rag soaked in cool water and put it over the IP for a couple of minutes. If the truck starts easily after this test, you have a worn out IP and it is time for a replacement.

I'm guessing there are lots of miles on the truck, partly since it is a 6.9. The injection pumps tend to last about 100,000 to 150,000 miles, according to some posters here, although I had a factory pump still working just fine at 289,000. Depends on how you treat them, I suppose.

Dillonn

Reaction score
So first question is what's best way to time the engine after IP install? Second do you have a web site for Russ?

Thanks.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Ive owned more then a few IDIs and have towed with all of them.

The only two times ive ever had a IP fail was after shutting them down and trying to restart.

First pump....

Started it in the morning. Idled for a minute or two.. moved it to hook the trailer up. Idled some more.. shut truck off cause the guy I was meeting to deliver a car was late. 30min later it starts for 1 second, dies and wont start back up

Second pump..another truck

Idled for a few minutes when cold. Drove across town to pick GF up. Shut down truck. 15min later truck starts for 1 second and dies. Same as before.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check with Mel at www.conestogadiesel.com for an IP

As for timing the engine, SEARCH function here is your friend there are a few threads on it to say the least. Gary aka Icanfixall rents the correct equipment to time the engine too!

DO NOT take the IP gear cover off only remove the IP itself from the half dome shaped gear cover. If you take the cover off you can almost be guaranteed you won't get it back in the right spot.

Good luck.

Al

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So first question is what's best way to time the engine after IP install? Second do you have a web site for Russ?

Thanks.

I dont have a website yet. pm me.
Thanks

Dillonn

Reaction score
Update, turned out the fuel pump was weak and not supplying enough pressure to the IP. I put a $30 pump on it and it ran great, hot starts great also. I dodged an expensive repair. Thanks for all the input!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well thats great you could fix it for cheap. Now enjoy the ride and have all the fun these nice diesels can deliver.

IHpower87Ford

Reaction score
Update, turned out the fuel pump was weak and not supplying enough pressure to the IP. I put a $30 pump on it and it ran great, hot starts great also. I dodged an expensive repair. Thanks for all the input!
I hope this is the case for my 94 7.3, been getting worse and worse about warm starts sence i bought it in march.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online