6.9 swapping 7.3 question

yankee1

Reaction score
ive got an 85 6.9 truck with alot of miles i just swapped for a fresh 7.3 out of about the same year truck if i put it in my truck will everything bolt up accesories, manifolds, injector pump, flywheel, etc?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... Just make sure the replant motor was not out of a van... They have differant drivers side exhaust manifolds and the rear oil coler header is differant.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Gary said, everything on your 6.9 will bolt onto the 7.3 IDI. If the 7.3 is from an E-Series, that's OK too. Just swap the F-series parts from the 6.9 to the 7.3 and you're good to go.

The only thing with going to the 7.3 is the increased risk of cavitation. Be sure to used DCA in the coolant to prevent it from killing your 7.3.

The swap is not hard at all. I've done the same with my '86 F250.;Sweet

I seen you're in Bowling Green. Too bad you didn't make it to the 2009 IDI Rally I hosted there in July. Gary make the drive from California (you stud you). You would have had a great time.

Heath

yankee1

Reaction score
the idi rally was on the wrong weekend for me to attend i think we were at black mtn that weekend ive got a rock crawler that needs to be abused on holliday weekends

snowman89

Stack Finatic
Reaction score
it shouldn't be too hard. i did a swap with my 87 ford. Took out the 6.9 and the four speed, and put in a 7.3 with a five speed. Took a week.

yankee1

Reaction score
are the flywheels balanced the same too? itll prob be a wile before i swap em ill wait til the 6.9 totally lays down no reason to swap a running motor ill prob swap the injectors out they have to be better than the ones in the 6.9 does the 7.3 have any more power?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The 7.3 motor has 10 or 15 hp more than the 6.9... Hardly anything to mention. Any flywheel will work fine... There are some differances but none has ever had any issues so far....

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 7.3 motor has 10 or 15 hp more than the 6.9... Hardly anything to mention. Any flywheel will work fine... There are some differances but noone has ever had any issues so far....

Yup, I've been running the 6.9 flywheel on my 7.3 for 4 years without issue.

Heath

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online