6.9 potential

boostedretard

Reaction score
Hello. First post here actually. I am currently shopping for a good running 6.9 rig. I am to rip the chassis of its cab for my C30. After that I would like to eventually take the 6.9 bolt it to a ZF5 and stuff it in a car I have. From the research I found. It seemed that the 86-87 blocks were best and the head bolts and head gaskets were weaker points. I dont want the 7.3 due to the cavitation issues. I would like to pull roughly 200hp and 400ft lbs from the 6.9 if at all possible with the stock pump and without tearing into the engine. Are head studs a must with a turbo on a 6.9? I would likely be building a custom turbo setup as I am not entirely new to idi diesels as I built the low low budget twin setup for my old 6.2 below...
You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Nice work on the chevy twin turbo setup. Looks like you have the fabrication skills to do what you want. Really, the cubic inch differance between the 6.9 and 7.3 is hardly measureable. they both can and will make the same hp and torque doing the same thing to each platform. Studs on the 6.9 is a must have item if a turbo is going on. Ceramic coating the piston tops will keep the heat away from them too so you could run higher exhaust temps without harming the pistons. Modest port cleanup and balancing the engine will get you the hp you want... Adding the Moose pump and the modifyed turbo will get even more hp. An intercooler is a must have item with a Moose pump. The 6.9 engine gets 29.5 mpg in an F150 truck that one of our members has... He is the person that makes and sells the Moose Pump line of products. His name is Mel and he owns Conestoga Diesel in Pa. We have meany users of this Moose pump on this forum. I personally have driven 2 of these pumps on my rig so I can tell you.. They are better than anything on the market. That statement gets proven almost on a daily basis too.... You have some interesting ideas. Please ask any questions here. We wont yell... Stupid question... Thats not the style around this forum. I can tell you the idi is differant from the 6.2 platform. Our injection pump spins the opposite direction of the 6.2 pumps even thought they are the same stanadyne DB2 pumps. We have an all gear driven crank to cam to injection pump. The 6.2 is chain driven. Thats why it rotates backwards.

boostedretard

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I did read about the moose pumps. There is a local super cab with a banks turbo 6.9 w/t19 with low miles New IP and n injectors that I'm lookit. I'll keep on reading up about the ford idi Isin here

Last edited: