6.9 performance

tjl

Diesel Nut
Reaction score
I've got a buddy at work that has an 85 f250 with a 6.9. He loves his truck but would like a little more power to haul and tow heavy loads. I don't know anything about the IDI engines so I told him I would check with you guys and see if there is anything he can do. Thanks.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yup, without a doubt the best performance mod you can do to an IDI is turbocharge it. New units are rather expensive, so I would look for some used units.

If a turbo is out of his price range, then open up the intake, and do an exhaust, and maybe turn up the pump a little bit (only if he has a pryo installed). This will help out some, but definatly not as much as a turbo.

He could also do a propane injection system. Zigg has a writeup on a homemade system that he uses on his IDI, though I dont have the link.

Those are the basic mods, you could do more, like moose pump, more boost, intercooler, lower compression, stage 1 injectors, ect....but that gets spendy fast.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i threw in a set of G-code (turbo) injectors and finished my own intake coupled with the exhaust the PO has installed and im satisfied with the power. im gunna turn the pump up a flat or two and see how that works out.

tjl

Diesel Nut
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I'll let him know when I get back to work.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Building an IDI.

Turbo BB injectors with pop pressure upped, fuel screw turned up, timing played with.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And while it is not really engine related, a Gearvendors OD will really make a truck that vintage more usable, especially if it is a manual. The T-19 has a huge gap between 3rd and 4th, and a GV in 3rd over will get you up the same hill 5 to 10 MPH faster.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
And while it is not really engine related, a Gearvendors OD will really make a truck that vintage more usable, especially if it is a manual. The T-19 has a huge gap between 3rd and 4th, and a GV in 3rd over will get you up the same hill 5 to 10 MPH faster.

Thats the truth right there ;Sweet

Ford428CJ

FE Freak!
Reaction score

Even if you have a C-6 like me LOL....I want one! LOL

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I just finished the install of my US Gear unit on my T-18 and What a Differance. Was worth every penny:thumbsup:

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the truth right there ;Sweet

OR if it has 3.55 axle gears, and he just wants more low-end, a gear splitter underdrive will work too - instead of 3rd OD, you'd shift into 4th UD to split that big 3rd-4th gear gap. I happen to know where you can get one cheap if you're interested ;) Just send me a PM for details.

It is true that adding the turbo is the BIGGEST improvement you can make. HOWEVER, it isn't the only improvement. A better Y-pipe, better intake (ram-air / cold air intake) and turning up the pump can be good for 10-15 extra ponies. More than enough to make a noticeable difference. At least it did in my non-turbo with the C6 and 3.55 axle gears

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online