6.9 N/A hard starting

dyoungen

Reaction score
I have a 1987 F250 N/A 6.9. This truck is my DD and i'm having problems starting her the first time of the day. It can be in the morning or evening she just won't start right off. I can plug her in and she starts fine. I replaced all 8 glo plugs but the second day it's back to the same thing. Once i get her started she is fine for the rest of the day. I've cycled her 2 times and still the same. I've run vegi oil in the past but stopped that months ago before the problem developed. What else besides the glo plugs might i need to look at? With the temprature in the 60's at night i don't think that should be a problem. After she starts everything is fine till the next day

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Since you ran veg, run a very very strong dose of a injector cleaner. Like hot shots secret diesel extreme.
But test your glowplugs again. You didn't say you used beru, so I'll assume you bought cheap ones.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

dyoungen

Reaction score
First the glo plugs. I use only the Motorcraft Beru plugs. shots secret diesel extreme? I'm not sure i've seen that one. I did use some Diesel kleen, 1 bottle for the full or almost full tank. When you say a strong dose, are you saying more than 1 bottle like 2 or 3 or more?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Many parts store now carry the hot shots secret.
I would dump in the whole bottle to a full tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

hoodshauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What others have said but .... you didn't say how long your glow plugs light is staying on. If less than ten seconds could be your relay or controller

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
10-15 seconds seems long for your neck of the woods at this time of year. Longer glow times, IIRC, means a bad GP. If GP's are good, you may have a broken wire or bad connection. As for fuel, you could also fill a new fuel filter with ATF, idle it until the cold advance kicks off and let it sit overnight. My first start of the day takes about 5-7 seconds of cranking and I'm pretty sure my IP is worn and my return line along the rail is allowing the system to deprime.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online