6.9 motor problem diagnosis

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Gonna have to order that dipstick block adapter, unless they still stock em at a dealership, I'll check on it.
I'm surprised that you didn't take the one out of the JY engine. It has to be there in order to use the newer style of dipstick tube. If you say that you couldn't get to it, then I can understand it. I've seen plenty of JYs that had what I was interested in sitting in what was basiclly a swamp.
I got the 3g alt, 2-4au?, big gauge hookup wire, loom with yellow, and green red stripe wires and plug, regulator attached, injection pump, 3 injectors, dipstick, tube, bracket, a hand full of 30a relays, filter base to IP inlet fuel line with good olives, for 80 bucks.
You sure did good on the price!:Thumbs Up

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Here is an idea for fuel lines as easy as PEX but proven on big rigs: nylon air brake tubing. Used all the time..... fittings readily available (compression type). 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 all sized by o.d. Just like the copper tubing in rolls it replaced. Nylon fuel lines on fuel injected cars as well as my stock 91 F250 with 7.3

Leroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that you didn't take the one out of the JY engine. It has to be there in order to use the newer style of dipstick tube. If you say that you couldn't get to it, then I can understand it. I've seen plenty of JYs that had what I was interested in sitting in what was basiclly a swamp.

You sure did good on the price!:Thumbs Up[/QUO

You sure did good on the price!:Thumbs Up

Yeah it's been raining a lot, I did look under there and there's a good mitsu starter, and a fresh looking trans..

I weren't sure if the little tube was a press fit also, I figure likely it is?

I woulda had to crawl like a mud bug and remove that starter to try and grab at it and pull it out the block..

I'm going back anyway to get more parts, so I will look at it and see it it's trouble to get it out, but if it's a mud hole, nope, I'll wait or just order a 10 dollar off ebay.

Yea, happy 4 that pump and injectors, one day I will have an excuse to build a pop tester and see if they're any good.

The ip and injectors both are stanadyne and appearance says oem original so maybe high miles idk, but it had been a farm truck by the condition so maybe it tooled around fields and aint wore out, cant wait to try it on, but my timing is set so perfect I aint foolin with it right now.

Leroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is an idea for fuel lines as easy as PEX but proven on big rigs: nylon air brake tubing. Used all the time..... fittings readily available (compression type). 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 all sized by o.d. Just like the copper tubing in rolls it replaced. Nylon fuel lines on fuel injected cars as well as my stock 91 F250 with 7.3

Yeah, the stock lines are nylon on my 85, it's you know it's the same concept, plastic, I did order all new rolls of the stock size 3/8 and 1/4 and, routed my fsv out of the equation for now until I put manual valves in.

I have heard that the big rig lines are nylon and work well for fuel, outside diameter would be good for hose and fittings.

How much does it cost though, is it expensive or not? I guess I could just google it. Does it also bend with a heat gun?

I just like pex so much, it's one of my favorite things after forever had to use copper or pvc that would freeze and crack and straight runs.

so my desire to run pex is likely not grounded in common sense, I will look at the nylon line, it's known good like you said. If i can find easy fittings and it's still low cost, might go with that.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I did look under there and there's a good mitsu starter, and a fresh looking trans..
Both worth pulling if it's dry.
I weren't sure if the little tube was a press fit also, I figure likely it is?
It is, but from my experience, it's easier to pull out of the block than the early style dipstick tube is. I've always used a flat tip screwdriver to wedge in underneath the lip of it and pry it out. Sometimes the screwdriver needs an encouraging tap from a hammer to get the adapter to break loose. Once it does, it comes out really easily.
I'm going back anyway to get more parts, so I will look at it and see it it's trouble to get it out, but if it's a mud hole, nope, I'll wait or just order a 10 dollar off ebay.
Sounds like a good choice to me.

Selahdoor

How can I help you, or make you laugh, today?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just pack some dry clothes. :D

Leroy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both worth pulling if it's dry.

It is, but from my experience, it's easier to pull out of the block than the early style dipstick tube is. I've always used a flat tip screwdriver to wedge in underneath the lip of it and pry it out. Sometimes the screwdriver needs an encouraging tap from a hammer to get the adapter to break loose. Once it does, it comes out really easily.

Sounds like a good choice to me.

Awesome, I will definitely go for that tube then, yep gonna do more pullin off that truck in these next few days.

I got to it with just a few hrs and I thought my alternator was not working so I left for home with a little less than an hour of daylight..

Little did I know, my McGiver alternator repair was actually working, I could have stayed there longer had I known...

I have only 1 change of clothes, just kidding, I have a rainsuit, but I don't think it will help in a 3 in mudpuddle, it's been raining and raining so I weight, at least I got ripplin waters. Ngdb plug.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe you could even get them to pull the truck out of the mud. Some places will do that for you. It's worth asking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online