6.9 into OBS Ford

FordDZLMan9191

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Ok, I just read the 1st page on yours and the guy talking about the fuel system was something else I was worried about. I was told on another forum where I asked about this swap and a guy that's swapping a 6.9 into a 90 gasser is just using the factory EFI system. He's leaving the in tank pumps, removed his mechanical pump on the motor, and is running a fuel regulator maxed out at 5.5 psi. But this guy on here is saying don't use anything from the gasser system. Could I just swap out the system off of my 85? Tanks and all? I know I'd have to get longer lines because I'm looking for an ext or crew cab and mines a regular cab.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left my EFI tank, ran new diesel rated rubber lines to and from motor, 18' per side. the Cent is essent an ex cab shrt box as far as wheelbase goes. Stripped the high psi pump off the gas sending unit, left the gasser sending unit, and then reassembled.

I can get you a 7.3 E40D truck here 4x4 1992, NA, needs rebuilt, runs beautiful, just likes the oil.. for $2k, maybe less... ex cab. Betcha if ya offered $1500 + fees ($300 = 6% and $13 title fee) yer an owner. swap out its needy 7.3 for your 6.9.. save the manual trans stuff for later down the road.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I swapped mine to diesel, I had the option of using the in tank pumps............Ended up being easier (and cheaper) to just use the diesel tanks. And if you go that route, while you have the tanks out, do yourself a favor and put a new pickup tube in both of the tanks. Maybe a tank vent modification too.

FordDZLMan9191

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Ok on the EFI stuff. And as good a deal as that sounds, I was kinda hoping to pick up a truck for like 500 or less and just swap mine in. Plus I'd have to get it clear across the state. Right now I'm working 1 day a week and trying to find another part time job or even odd jobs, so I'm saving every penny I can to do this.

FordDZLMan9191

Diesel addict
Reaction score
When I swapped mine to diesel, I had the option of using the in tank pumps............Ended up being easier (and cheaper) to just use the diesel tanks. And if you go that route, while you have the tanks out, do yourself a favor and put a new pickup tube in both of the tanks. Maybe a tank vent modification too.

I think I would have to put a new pickup tube in my front one anyway since the gauge only works above 1/2 a tank. But thanks for the heads up