6.9 into OBS Ford

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove 460.

Grind mount horns free (unbolt some of the holes, grind the other 4)

Remove 6.9 from donor.

Unbolt mount horns from 6.9

Re use 6.9 bolts, and mount horns into 460 X member, holes are pretapped.

3.54's and 35-37" tires prevent you from needing OD. However if you are hell bent on OD, I have a fresh Rebuilt ZF 6 speed and t-case, for $1200 sitting here in storage.

3.73's and 40" tires, give you a manual valve bodied E40D out of your NP435...

Welcome. Also from the spud state. (on the other side, literally) Am in the middle of doing the swap into a 90.

sassyrel

Reaction score
The 6.9 only needs ignition power to the fuel solenoid and high idle circuit on the IP. Other than that it has the same wiring as gassers (starter, alternator, A/C).

You want to find a truck with a 460 if possible, they had the same frames and attachment points as the diesel trucks of the same years. My 85 even has a paint stencil on the frame stating that it was to be used for "7.5/6.9."

Transmissions for the big block should bolt up to the diesel with no drilling (unless there was a mount change after 1994). Automatics have different guts and may not last behind a diesel, something about the hammering power pulses. Standard transmissions don't care.

top two holes on trans are diff for diesel and gas 460--look the same--but aint--

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
top two are the only similarities, after that it becomes SAE 2. take the adapter off the block, and the whole thing is SAE 2

FordDZLMan9191

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Remove 460.

Grind mount horns free (unbolt some of the holes, grind the other 4)

Remove 6.9 from donor.

Unbolt mount horns from 6.9

Re use 6.9 bolts, and mount horns into 460 X member, holes are pretapped.

3.54's and 35-37" tires prevent you from needing OD. However if you are hell bent on OD, I have a fresh Rebuilt ZF 6 speed and t-case, for $1200 sitting here in storage.

3.73's and 40" tires, give you a manual valve bodied E40D out of your NP435...

Welcome. Also from the spud state. (on the other side, literally) Am in the middle of doing the swap into a 90.

Mount horns? New term to me.

As much as I would love the have a 6 speed, the cash just aint there right now for that. Right now I'm trying to do this swap as cheaply as possible, but still done right. I've got 4.10s and ~32" tires and run high 2K RPMs going down the highway at 55-60. not real sure exactly since my tach doesn't work. But I just figure the the OD will help, I know, not a lot but anything helps. Plus its impossible to have a conversation and difficult listen the radio in my truck.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your motor mounts are two pieces, right? there is the part that attaches to the motor, rubber metal, cute lil' feller, and then there is the metal part that attaches to the cross member.

I was calling the metal part the "horns"

And the IH motor is a standardized SAE2 bell pattern, Ford put a cast iron adapter on the back of the motor from the factory making it almost but not quite a Ford Big Block pattern bell.

I had 37's (HMMV take off's) on 4.10's, and through my NP435, I was running 2700 rpm at 69.xx. So, I dropped to 3.73's and stepped up to 40" tires (net of 39")

Can't tell ya how that works for me yet, as it still yard art.

FordDZLMan9191

Diesel addict
Reaction score
My 6.9 donor truck is my DD so I haven't torn into it yet to see what's what. I'm still looking for the receiver truck. And this adapter plate, motor/tranny mating stuff is kind of confusing me, but it'll probably make more sense when I get stuff taken apart and can see it. :confused::dunno

FordDZLMan9191

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Ok. But so I can try to understand better, does my motor, being an IH, have an adapter plate to bolt to my t-19? The truck is all stock(with the exception of the mods in my sig) and its the factory drivetrain, right down to the stupid D44 front end. It was my understanding that I could pull my 6.9, and with a single mass flywheel conversion(not needed but if it keeps clutch replacement cost down I'll fork out the little extra money up front) and clutch, it would just bolt up to the diesel ZF5.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. from the back of the motor out, from the sides of the motor out, etc. etc. its all Ferd baby!.. which is really cool because Ferd uses metric sized bolts, and IH uses SAE.. so its all sorts of exciting.

FordDZLMan9191

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I hate that mix. -cuss Will the adapter plate on my 6.9 bolt the the zf5 or would i have to get the plate off a 7.3 and bolt it to my 6.9?

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF you find a diesel ZF5, it will bolt. As was stated earlier, the ZF uses a cast bell, non divorceable. If you find a gasser ZF, there is a mod here called the "typ4" mod. I found the holes close on the two bell's, close enough to redrill. As did he, difference is he did it.. Hence the term typ4 mod.

Mis read the question... sorry.

6.9 IDI
7.3 IDI
7.3 PSD...

all look the same at the bell housing area.

FordDZLMan9191

Diesel addict
Reaction score
Ok, now its starting to make more sense. I'm hoping to find a 92-94 7.3 idi/ZF5 to do this with so its basically all bolt in. I just wanted to know what I was going to have to do if I got stuck with a gasser. It would be really sweet if I found one with a bad motor that still has the turbo on it that I could put onto mine. Do you have a thread going with your swap that I could follow?