6.9 intake valve question

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Had an 85 6.9 develop a sudden and consistent, rpm dependent intake "chuff". The same chuffing that's usually related to a sticking lifter or a bad guide. Since it was consistent and didn't go away like a sticking lifter chuff often does, I figured that it would likely be a broken rocker or something related to that, or possibly a bad guide, but less likely. Cylinders 2 and 4 have 200 psi compression where all the others have 400+. The chuffing thru the intake happens when the cyl 4 intake valve opens. The rockers for that cyl are not broken or badly worn, the pushrods are also straight and not badly worn. However I noticed that the spring on the intake valve on cyl 4 rotates with the engine running, as if it has a spring rotator and the other intake valve springs do not rotate.

Question is....do the intake valves on these have rotators? I am thinking that I may be dealing with a bad head gasket between cyl 2 and 4, due to the compression numbers; but that intake chuff related to cyl 4 is the reason that the truck went under the knife as it was running decent but then started chuffing. Id like to see if I can get that issue sorted, which may restore compression on that cylinder and that truck might then run well enough to keep using for now.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make yourself an adapter to adapt shop air to the #4 glowplug hole. Loosen both cylinder 2 and 4 rockers till all 4 valves are shut, and then put some air to it and see where it comes out at.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yup so pressurized cylinder 2, and had the pressure escape from cylinder 4 valves as I opened them manually (all rockers off). So the head gasket is bad and the rotating intake valve on number 4 is no longer a concern.

But I am still curious if the intake valves have rotators on these... I haven't done enough valve work on idi's to know.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the answer to the rotator thing either. I know a lot engines only have them on the exhaust, not the intake.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my valves not too long ago in my build and I recall the non turbo motors having rotators on one set and Turbo motors rotators on both.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cre1992

Reaction score
Ill be following this thread as I am gathering some parts to do the heads on my truck.

I did my valves not too long ago in my build and I recall the non turbo motors having rotators on one set and Turbo motors rotators on both.

Any parts you would recommend getting for the heads? I've heard using Comp Cams 910-16 valve springs?

Currently I've got all new lifters and pushrods. All the gaskets I need. ARP studs are on the way.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Any parts you would recommend getting for the heads? I've heard using Comp Cams 910-16 valve springs?
Unless you're running a bigger cam or a lot of boost, there isn't much point to using the stiffer Comp 910 springs. They'll wear out your rockers quicker. Stock replacements will be fine.

Last edited:

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ill be following this thread as I am gathering some parts to do the heads on my truck.

Currently I've got all new lifters and pushrods. All the gaskets I need. ARP studs are on the way.
I used the comp910 springs because I'll be running alot of boost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online