6.9 idi new injection pump but no fuel coming out

4 tone f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first allow me to apologize if this was on some other thread and i missed it but i'm losing my mind my truck has been down since the 2nd and i just got the new injection pump in left the glow plugs out and lines cracked and cranked the hell out of her and i'm getting no fuel coming from the injector lines but my electric fuel pump(which may not be the right one but the truck did run on it from christmas eve until new years about 400 miles) has the filter/schrader valve fueled up and free of air, i know my fss is clicking and getting power to it i don't know if maybe i didn't crank it long enough or maybe i need to have all the lines tightened down except 1 at a time or leave the glow plugs out and tighten all the lines down or just try the gas rag over the intakes mesh shield trick i'm so confused please help my truck is my only vehicle and i badly need to get it running thankyou in advance and sorry for any mispellings i'm going to school for mechanics not english

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Are you bleeding the air out of the filter head. Where did this "new pump" come from. How did you remove and install the injection pump. Fuel must come out the top of the injection pump so open that line up and see if any fuel in pumping out of there. If it isn't you need to track down why its not. Having the glow plugs out and cranking is a great way to speed up the air purging. Hold the throttle wide open when cranking helps too. The hard lines need to be tight, then back them off about 1/2 to 1 turn so air can escape. Sometimes when I try to purge the air from the lines I leave the lines tight to the injecters. Then stop cranking and crack loose the lines. If it not to noisy you can hear the air pressure leaving the loose lines. then tighten and do it again till its just fuel leaking off the injecter. You will not see a gusher like what flows into the filter or out of the filter bleeder. Its a very small amount of fuel..

mozzles

Reaction score
You're right over the mountain from where I'm at. Good luck, hope you get her runnin!

4 tone f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually i'm in sacramento right now but i've got some fuel coming out the lines when i crack em now so i think i just need to get a good charge on the batteries and keep bleeding til she fires up thankyou though however any aditional ideas will still be appreciated cuz she ain't back on the move yet

4 tone f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so i'm now wondering if its somehow possible that my timing got thrown off because i seem to have plenty of fuel to the injectors now and it's acting like either the timing is off or its getting flooded

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you didn't remove the gear cover for the IP and you have the two factory lines lined up on the pump and the housing for the gear then you should be ok with timing.

How close is it getting to starting?

4 tone f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure the ijection timing is on because that has that pin and the 3 bolts and i'm spot on the factory marks but i was thinking the cam timing

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You have not answered how you removed and installed the injection pump. Now if you removed the small thin cover on the front of the injection pump gear cover and removed the three tiny bolts with the 5/16 hex.. Then you did it correctly. As for having it timed to the "factory marks"... Forget that. Those marks are only good for the first pump installed at the facotory. Nothing is much better than close after that. This is because every rebuilt injection pump will be built differantly with the internal timing. Its just how these pumps are done. So pay no attention to those marks. Try advancing the pump by turning the pump towards the passenger side fender about the the thickness or width of a dime. Thats about 2 degrees. You may have to loosen the injecter lines at the injecters if there is a lot of turning resistance. The injection pump is not one of the better suppliers too. We usually don't recommend using a "lifetime warranty" kind of place. Please don't continue to crank the starter with low batteries. Thats a sure way to burn up a starter fast. The voltage goes down and the amps go up. It takes very little to cook the windings too Hope this helps you to understand what we have learned over many years of this kind of starting and air purging... Are you getting any smoke out the tail pipe and if yes what color is it..

4 tone f250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thankyou very much that's how i did it didn't know there was any other way lol and yeah i'll try that and no i dont crank below 12.1v that's why i have to keep recharging thank you very much for the input keep it coming please

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online