6.9 front main seal

6xCrew

Newb
Reaction score
What does it take to replace one of these? Am I looking at all day with a bunch of blood or is it not too bad?

The reason I ask is I am temped to replace the one in the truck Chris and I picked up and start driving it. I really want to get back in a diesel and it will be a while before I get my 76 CC done.

Also if I can start driving this 86 we got I can sell my 73 CC and maybe even take my van off the road.

My time is very busy right now so I can not afford to spend a whole weekend on it for at least another month. I did do a search but I came up with very little.

Thank you,

Calvin

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This can be a very big job. The radiator needs to come out. You will need a seal with something called a speedy sleeve. Usually the vibration dampner is worn with a deep groove from the seal so thats just preventavie measures that will keep you from going back is soon after the job is done. The tools needed are the vibration dampner remover and installer. Then you need the seal installation tool. Other than this its just getting down there to do the work. You can leave the accessories on the front of the motor but the belts need to come off and the crank pulley. The installation tool bolts up to the 3 nuts that are welded around the seal. Getting the old seal out is no big deal because the dampner has plenty of space between the crank and seal.